Trinity sophomore Randy Kenna

Trinity sophomore Randy Kenna, candidate for DSG vice president for student affairs, said he is running for office because he believes the University needs active leadership.

"People have been talking a lot, but no one's been leading," said Kenna, who is currently a DSG legislator. "Communication does not mean you are acting like a leader. I am so impassioned by the frustration of reactive student government promoting communication, not leadership." He said he would accomplish proactive leadership by creating groups on campus interested in changing the situation of specific student issues.

In the fall, Kenna conducted a student survey which he said indicated that students were unhappy with the new changes in social policies. He added that he has an ambitious agenda embodied in a four-part platform: "Balance, Bits, Band-aids and Bananas."

Kenna wants to restore the balance of academic and social life that has defined the University and made it one of the nation's most prestigious universities. Kenna stressed that the Panhellenic Council should receive residential space and that independent students should share an equal voice with those involved in greek organizations.

Additionally, Kenna said he would like to expand access to computing. He said he strongly supported the idea for a new computer cluster being proposed for East Campus. He also said that eventually he would like to see computer clusters built to serve each quadrangle.

He said he would like to see a student health center established solely to serve the health needs of University undergraduates and graduate students. Currently, there is not a health facility which serves University students exclusively.

Kenna said that freshmen should be on a dining plan similar to that of upperclassmen. Currently, freshmen are paying for uneaten meals, he said.

Based upon statistics compiled at the Marketplace on East Campus, Kenna found that during the week, about 77 percent of first-year students eat dinner each night, 63.4 percent eat weekend brunch and 54 percent of freshmen eat weekday breakfast.

"I'm the only candidate who wants to lead and not just represent. I have the conviction and skills with which to push my agenda through," he said. "The vice president of student affairs must not sit by and communicate, but must stand up and lead."

Share and discuss “Trinity sophomore Randy Kenna” on social media.