Freshman brings strong experience to Blue Devils

Remember those "What did you do over your summer vacation?" essays that you had to write before college? For freshman women's golfer Jenny Chuasiriporn, the answer was always the same-play golf, play golf and then play more golf.

From the time school let out in June to the time she returned in August, Chuasiriporn traveled across the nation participating in various tournaments, many of which were sponsored by the American Junior Golf Association (AJGA). With all of that golf, did Chuasiriporn ever feel as if she wanted a real vacation?

"My whole golf [experience] is a vacation," she said. "I get enough free time. It was very enjoyable. It was never a burden. It was never something I didn't want to do."

Chuasiriporn's love affair with golf came from her family. Her father was an avid golfer, as was her mother and her older brother. So by the time Chuasiriporn could walk, she had golf clubs in her hands. Chuasiriporn said at first the game was something to pass the long summers.

When she was eight years old, Chuasiriporn participated in her first tournament. From then on, golf became more than just something to do over summer. It became her life. Six years after her first tournament, Chuasiriporn participated in her first national tournament. Just four years ago, she began traveling to various tournaments around the state and the nation, during the summer circuit. Most of the tournaments were on the East Coast, but once in a while Chuasiriporn would travel to a site that didn't have a view of the Atlantic Ocean.

"It was fun," she said. "My parents didn't travel with me. I had some of my friends who did the same thing, which was a good thing so we could save money on a hotel or get private housing together. There were a lot of good friends you make with the same goals."

Most of Chuasiriporn's playing experience had to come during the summer, because her high school, Notre Dame Prep in Towson, Md., had no golf team. To keep in shape, Chuasiriporn put her clubs away in November and picked up a stick-a field hockey stick-until February.

Naturally, there were some days when Chuasiriporn wouldn't feel like practicing. It was at those times that she relied on family for daily support. She especially credits her father and her older brother, now a member of the Penn State golf team, with much of the encouragement.

"As I've grown up and experienced the things that I have experienced, it's made me grow to love the game even more," Chuasiriporn said. "When I was young, I always had my dad there to push me. Without him, who knows?

"[My brother and I] both pushed each other. We both would go out there together and we both played. That was definitely a crucial factor while I was growing up."

Duke women's golf coach Dan Brooks considers the numerous hours Chuasiriporn has put into practice as one reason she has a very natural golf swing. That swing is the first thing Brooks mentions when talking about his freshman sensation.

"She has a very, very good swing," Brooks said. "Her swing hasn't been tinkered with much. It's always acceptable, even on her bad days."

Brooks has been pursuing Chuasiriporn for the past three years, ever since she won four AJGA tournaments the summer between her junior and senior years of high school. That year, she was named first-team Rolex All-American.

"Any time you have someone on the east coast who is as good as she is as junior [in high school], you're going to know about her and you're going to be interested," Brooks said.

Chuasiriporn knew she wanted to stay on the East Coast and limited her choices down to five-Duke, North Carolina, Wake Forest, University of Tennessee and the University of Tulsa. She signed early with the Blue Devils in November, citing everything from Duke's nationally-ranked team to North Carolina's weather as reasons why she decided to sign with Duke.

Outside of her talent on the course, Brooks is very impressed with Chuasiriporn's humility. He said as a junior in high school, she was probably one of the best players in the nation, and didn't even know it. She's always willing to improve herself on the course. So far, Brooks said she has done some exceptional things on the golf course-like shot around 60 as a junior in high school-that some players never achieve.

"I think she's the type of person who is the last to know how good she is," Brooks said.

Yet Brooks stressed she still has a lot to learn. One of the biggest adjustments Chuasiriporn has made in college is playing for a team. She said the toughest thing is knowing that every stroke counts, and that a team is counting on you to do well.

Brooks already has two All-American players on his team in seniors Stephanie Sparks and Kathi Poppmeier. He sees many similarities between those two and Chuasiriporn.

Brooks often doesn't expect too much from his freshmen, considering the numerous adjustments to college. But Chuasiriporn is different. She had a solid fall-her highest finish was a ninth-place showing at the Lady Tar Heel Tournament-but Brooks thinks he hasn't seen anywhere near the best she can play.

"Before she leaves here, she's going to do some great things," Brooks said. "The sky is the limit for Jenny."

Share and discuss “Freshman brings strong experience to Blue Devils” on social media.