Former city officials to improve community relations

Sandra Ogburn, an eight-year veteran of the Durham City Council, and William Bell, chair of the Durham County Board of Commissioners for the past 12 years, will soon begin work with University leaders to develop a stronger relationship with the Durham community.

Ogburn will serve as interim director of community affairs and will assume many of the former responsibilities of Garrick Francis, who will is leaving the University to become a senior counselor with Epley Associates, Inc., a public relations firm in Raleigh. Bell will serve as a University consultant and work with Ogburn and other leaders to find ways in which the University can collaborate with local neighborhoods, said John Burness, senior vice president for public affairs.

"We are fortunate to be able to draw on Sandy Ogburn's and Bill Bell's immense knowledge of Durham and their experience in working with local decision makers as we make plans to enhance the positive impacts of Duke's many contributions to our community," Burness said in a statement.

President Nan Keohane said the two new administrators will also be important in addressing relations between the University and its surrounding regions.

"We are most pleased that Sandy Ogburn has agreed to help lead our community relations efforts on an interim basis, and that Bill Bell will also be working with us to develop a long-range approach to this important topic," Keohane said in a statement. "Their understanding of Durham and knowledge of local issues will ensure that we have effective links to the local community."

Despite University officials' excitement about the prospect of working with Ogburn and Bell, Francis will be missed, Keohane said. "Garrick Francis played a major role in recent years in many of the most innovative outreach activities led by our Office of Government Relations and Community Affairs," Keohane said.

Ogburn expressed her enthusiasm about beginning work with the University. "Garrick has done a superb job of cementing relations between Duke and the Durham community, and I am sorry to see him leave," she said. "But I am excited about taking on this job and helping give shape to Duke's long-range plans for working with the community."

Having served on the Durham City Council from 1987 to 1995, Ogburn is currently an office administrator with Gulley and Calhoun, a Durham law firm. Bell is a senior engineer with IBM Corporation in Research Triangle Park and will be retiring in June.

Share and discuss “Former city officials to improve community relations” on social media.