Swim teams outstroked by Terrapins

COLLEGE PARK, Md. -- Cal Ripken, Jr., is not the only great athlete in Maryland. The University of Maryland's swimming teams overpowered Duke's men's and women's swim teams on Sunday afternoon.

The Maryland women defeated Duke 180-49, and the Terrapin men prevailed 188-51 in the dual meets in College Park.

"The long bus ride and a tough week of training made the difference between the competition last year and this year," senior Andrew Delia said.

The men's team beat the Terrapins at home last year.

Delia partially attributed the loss to Maryland regaining its scholarship program two years ago. The Terrapins' young scholarship swimmers proved to be too much for the men to overtake this year.

Junior Ellen Gawalt made the five-hour bus ride worth her while. She achieved a personal-best time in the 50 freestyle in a time of 26.1 seconds. Freshman Leslie King won the 500 freestyle in an exciting finish and attained a personal-best time with her third-place finish in the 200 freestyle. Senior Heather Reger took the 200 breastroke as well.

Sophomore Marshall Preston's 200 individual medley race was his best time of the season.

"After our last week of tough training, it was a good surprise to swim as well as I did here," Preston said.

With his eye on the end of the season, Preston is looking for a win next weekend against the University of North Carolina-Wilmington.

"It could be a real stepping stone for the team," Preston said.

Sophomore David Tonini swam a notable 200 backstroke, which placed him second in a time of 2:00.03. Freshman Marc Rotblat took home the only men's individual victory with an impressive 200 breastroke.

What the Blue Devils may have lacked in first-place finishes, they made up in cheerleaders. Family members and friends packed the stands to help support the teams. The athletes unanimously agreed that it was really helpful to have so many fans.

The Blue Devils will swim their first home meet against the University of North Carolina-Wilmington this Saturday in the Duke Aquatic Center at 2:00 p.m.

"It should be a really competitive meet," Delia said. "We have a good chance."

The women's team is now 1-2 (0-2 in the ACC), and the men are 0-3 (0-2 in the ACC).

Share and discuss “Swim teams outstroked by Terrapins” on social media.