Cochran has learned to take ups and downs of kicking

Tom Cochran has learned to overcome adversity during his Duke career--a skill that he was not taught in the classroom. Instead the senior place kicker received his lesson on the gridiron.

"It's been an up and down career for me," Cochran said. "I've given my all. I wish I had done better in the beginning, but everything I've learned from [my football experience] has been exceptional. I've played with injuries, I've missed game-winners, I've hit game-winners and I've learned to deal with failure."

Cochran will don his jersey twice more for the Blue Devils. And during his final two games, he'll be vying for his own spot in the record books. Cochran's 34 career field goals makes him the second highest total in Duke history--only three behind all-time leader Doug Peterson.

But when asked about the record, the unassuming place-kicker only smiles politely.

"I would definitely like to leave on a positive note," Cochran said. "It would be a nice accomplishment to have."

Cochran has made 12-of-16 field goals this season while experiencing a wide range of emotions. Trailing Army by one point with four seconds remaining, Cochran kicked his first game-winning field goal.

And then there was his 45-yard blast against nationally-ranked Virginia. But that game resulted in a 44-30 defeat for the Blue Devils.

"You always want to trade your own success for a [team] victory," Cochran said. "The kicker is in a position where you can have a great game, and the team loses. You feel bad even though you played well. You'd like to have a few field goals, a few good kickoffs, a few extra-points and come out the victor."

But unfortunately for Cochran, many people will remember his botched field goal attempt against Georgia Tech this year in Duke's 37-21 loss. Cochran faked the kick while 10 other Blue Devils prepared for a field goal.

"It didn't work out," Cochran said. "But if you're going to let that bother you, you're going to be a basketcase, not a kicker. When you make a mistake, you have to face the music and stare everybody in the face.

"You have to tell them why you made that mistake and read about it in the newspaper the next day."

The Duke football team (3-6, 1-5 in the Atlantic Coast Conference) travels to No. 24 Clemson (6-3, 5-2 in the ACC) on Saturday. The Blue Devils are hoping to capitalize on the off-week as many players, including Cochran, have been able to rest their weary bodies.

Cochran was recently hobbled by a freak injury when a barbell was dropped on his kicking foot.

"I was in the wrong place at the wrong time," Cochran said. "[The trainers] aren't sure if it's broken, but it's been bothering me the last two weeks. My foot goes numb every time I hit the ball. It's just one of those things that you have to fight through."

The season finale will be played in Chapel Hill on Nov. 18, although Saturday's matchup with Clemson cannot be overlooked.

"It's pretty easy to focus on Clemson," Cochran said. "We're going down to Death Valley. They're playing well and we have an opportunity to play in front of 80,000 fans. That's what college football is all about. The adrenaline will be pumping."

And maybe three more field goals will travel through the uprights giving Cochran his own place in Duke football history. But let's not get carried away. Instead, the Blue Devils will settle for two game-winners against Clemson and North Carolina.

Share and discuss “Cochran has learned to take ups and downs of kicking” on social media.