Volleyball enters conference competition

Bump. . . set. . . spike. . . Aaugh!

It's been a frustrating year for the Duke volleyball team. After a great 1994-95 season that ended with an Atlantic Coast Conference title and a trip to the Sweet Sixteen of the NCAA tournament, the Blue Devils have opened this season with a 1-7 record.

Duke is back in action this weekend, hoping to reverse its losing streak and start its conference season off with some wins. The Blue Devils take on the Maryland Terrapins this Friday at 7:30 p.m. and Virginia on Saturday at 5:00 p.m. Both games will be played in Cameron Indoor Stadium.

In the past few years, Duke has thoroughly dominated the conference. Coming into ACC play with a losing record for the first time in years, most people would think that the returning veterans would feel the pressure, but that's not the case.

"In the beginning, there may have been some pressure, but the whole team has gained more experience so that pressure has evened out," sophomore setter Kristen Campbell said.

This season has also seen changes in the coaching staff. Head coach Linda Grensing took over the Duke program after former coach Jon Wilson resigned. Grensing helped to lead Ohio State to the Final Four as an assistant coach before coming to Duke. Both new and returning players have had to adjust.

"Under the new coach, the offense is a lot faster and we are in better condition," sophomore outside hitter Maureen Reindl said. "Adjusting to [Grensing] was not hard."

The Blue Devils plan to continue to play the same way, despite the losses the team has suffered recently.

"We are treating these games the same as we have in the past," Reindl said. "We may have to adapt to the other teams but there are no changes other than that."

Campbell led the team last season with 1,327 assists, notching an assists per game average of 13.82. So far this season, she has tallied 284 assists.

Reindl maintained a record 3.62 digs per game average last season and this season has a 3.69 digs per game average. She has also been the kill leader for all the games except two--racking up 110 kills so far.

Freshman Chrissie Lukasiewicz has started her Duke career off on a high note, loading her stats with 35 kills, 44 digs and 13 serving aces.

"The transition from high school to college has not been difficult," Lukasiewicz said. "The freshmen have been doing a good job. College is a different level. You have the skills but you have to keep mental focus during the games to do well."

Share and discuss “Volleyball enters conference competition” on social media.