Women runners get back on track

RALEIGH--A major reason for the women's track and field team's outdoor success is the improvement of athletes who studied abroad last semester. After not being able to train with the team first semester, these runners were back on track--literally--last weekend at the Raleigh Relays at the Paul Derr track.

"I'm really happy with the people who were away in the fall," assistant coach Scott Yakola said. "They've turned that corner and feel confident with their racing."

One such athlete is junior Liz Hanly, who was studying at Beaufort last fall. She led off the 4x1500-meter relay on Friday with a 4:49.8 split, the fastest leg on the team.

Hanly then came back the next day to anchor the 4x800-meter relay with her 2:19 split. She and teammates Collette Gurtler, Betsy Keever and Karin Stephens combined to run a 9:19.5 for the event, the third-fastest time in Duke history.

Betsy Keever, a junior, is another Blue Devil who has made strides in her running after spending last semester in Spain. She had the fastest split of the 4x800-meter relay with her 2:17.3 time. She also was a part of the 4x1500-meter relay, finishing her split in 4:52.4.

"It was a big weekend for people coming back [from abroad] in terms of confidence," Yakola said. "Them getting better makes us better."

Also, after a strong indoor season, freshman Kim Hay is carrying her success into the outdoor season. Hay set a new school and freshman record in the 100 meters with her 12.60 time. She was also a part of the 4x200-meter relay team that broke the school record with its time of 1:47.85. Sophomores Kirsten Johnson and Jenny Stadler and freshman Kim Voyticky were also a part of the team.

Hay also ran on the 4x100-meter relay team and had the fastest leg on the 4x400-meter relay team with her 59.5 split.

"Kim Hay had several great races this weekend," Yakola said. "She's just starting to come on."

In addition, Johnson came up big in the hurdling events. She finished the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 15.37 and ran a 66.41 in the 400-meter hurdles, a personal best by four seconds.

Share and discuss “Women runners get back on track” on social media.