West Campus to house selective dorms in fall

Selective living groups have been guaranteed a spot on West Campus next year--provided they adhere to a membership cap of 50 students.

The new residential plan passed in December places upperclassmen in Trent Hall on North Campus, and administrators had discussed the possibility of placing some selective groups there as well.

In a Jan. 30 memo issued to all selective and fraternity house presidents, the Housing Assignment Committee stated that "no selective house with 1995-96 membership under the cap of 50 will be involuntarily relocated to Trent."

Those exceeding the cap "may remain intact and request relocation to Trent Hall for the 1995-96 academic year," according to the memo.

The announcement is one of the first concrete decisions regarding next year's residential system. The plan, drafted by President Nan Keohane and approved by the Board of Trustees, could relocate all selective and lottery dorms for the 1995-96 year.

Selective dorm and fraternity residents said they were relieved to hear they would not end up on North.

"Everybody hugged and cheered when they heard," said Trinity junior Bill Howard, president of Mirecourt, a co-ed selective dorm in Edens Quad. "If we were on North, our house would die. I think any house would die, because of rush."

Mirecourt currently has 88 members, but Howard said the house intends to reduce its membership to 55 to remain on West. Although the plan calls for a cap of 50 residents for selective houses, administrators plan on giving groups currently over 50 a little leeway.

One of the main reasons the HAC decided to keep selective houses on West is to ensure equitable housing, said Karen Steinour, dean of students and the HAC chair.

Moreover, "It was our understanding that [Keohane's] intention was not to place selective houses on North," Steinour said.

Selective groups will also be allowed to rank their quad preferences.

"I think you'll see a lot of movement on main West, but it's difficult to say," Howard said. "My guess is that a house's first preference will be where it is now, and its second will be one of those coveted places like where [Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity] is."

Trinity junior Peter Rahbar, president of Delta Sigma Phi fraternity and a member of the HAC, also said that a large amount of relocation is probable. "A lot of groups like where they're living now, but at the same time the intent of the plan is to shuffle people around," Rahbar said.

Meanwhile, some lottery dorm residents said they feel they are being slighted.

"It seems to me that by guaranteeing West spaces to all selective houses, the whole purpose of the residential shake-up is being defeated," said Trinity senior Eric Johnson, president of Canterbury.

But Steinour said plans have already been set to ensure equity for lottery dorm residents. For example, rising juniors and seniors will not be involuntarily placed on North. In addition, lottery dorms will probably be allowed to preference quads, said Bill Burig, assistant dean for student development.

A town meeting will be held Feb. 22 in Page Auditorium to discuss further details of implementation, Steinour said.

Share and discuss “West Campus to house selective dorms in fall” on social media.