Thieves steal, return rape-awareness board

A board designed to promote awareness of sexual assault on campus was stolen Monday and then returned Tuesday night.

The board, which had been in the West Union's Alumni Lounge since Sunday, was last seen at about 8 p.m. Monday and then later returned Tuesday at about 7 p.m. with only minor damages.

The board was a part of the "I Tied a Ribbon Campaign," one aspect of Rape Awareness Week, which started Sunday and continues through Friday. The campaign encourages survivors of sexual assault and their friends and family to write their stories on the board and tie a purple ribbon on the chains surrounding the West Campus quad.

The stories on the board, coordinators say, are a show of personal strength and unity in the face of adversity.

The board was set up Sunday night and by Monday morning had already been knocked over. Housekeeping, housing, special events and conference services have been contacted but say they know nothing about what happened to the board. All groups received letters last week to inform them that the board would be there so that no employee would mistakenly take it away.

Some have speculated that the board was stolen and then later returned as a prank, but so far Public Safety has no leads as to who was responsible. "There was no reason or motive for anyone to take it," said Capt. Shane Donche Tuesday. "It was stolen, [and] we have no idea how many people were involved," he added.

Trinity senior Tracy Turner, who is in charge of the "I Tied a Ribbon" campaign, said that less aggressive antics have been tried in previous years.

"In the past, people have cut the ribbons off the chains around campus, but nothing like this has ever happened before," Turner said.

People signing the board were asked not to use any names besides their own because the board had been used as an instrument of accusation in past years. "I don't think the missing boards will affect the other programs planned for this week and that they will continue as scheduled," Turner said. "It personally angers me, but I don't think it will inhibit other activities from going on as scheduled."

Rape Awareness Week coordinators have already held two activities during the past two days: a self-defense workshop and a Broadway at Duke production of the play "Oleanna," which explores sexual-harassment issues.

Various other speeches, discussions and movie screenings concerning issues such as child sexual abuse and sexual assault have been planned for the remainder of the week.

Nevertheless, Turner said that she found some good in the incident.

"I was going to write an editorial because I wanted to thank whoever took the board, because it shows that campus sexual assault is still an issue," she said.

Share and discuss “Thieves steal, return rape-awareness board” on social media.