Baseball's hot hitting sinks Navy

After four straight days of rain, it was doubtful that the Duke baseball team would even be able to take the field for this weekend's games against the Navy Midshipmen. The sun smiled upon the Blue Devils, though, as the clouds parted and the field dried up enough that Duke was able to play on Sunday afternoon.

Navy was probably hoping the storm clouds would reappear as the Blue Devil bats caught fire in the middle of the game, leading Duke to a 12-3 dismantling of the Midshipmen. The win was Duke's fifth straight, and the Blue Devils improved to 5-2 on the season while Navy lost its season opener to start off at 0-1.

The key to Duke's win came in the fourth and sixth innings of the game. While the Blue Devils scattered some of their 11 hits throughout the contest, all 12 of their runs were scored in those two innings.

"I thought we became a little bit more aggressive with the bats after the first three innings," assistant coach David Koblentz said. "I thought their first pitcher got a little bit tired, but he didn't throw too bad the first half of the game. He kept the ball down and had a nice little slider."

Duke scored its first three runs in the fourth inning on two hits. The Blue Devils waited until the sixth inning to put the game out of reach when they scored nine runs as 13 Blue Devil batters reached the plate. Mike King led Duke's offense by hit-

Share and discuss “Baseball's hot hitting sinks Navy” on social media.