Women's track preps for ACCs

At a tri-meet against Wake Forest and Maryland this weekend, the women's track and field team failed to break a school record for the first time this season. There were good reasons however -- windy conditions and the upcoming Atlantic Coast Conference meet.

"The week before conference you're not going to go all out," head coach Mike Forbes said.

Assistant coach Scott Yakola also said the meet was a strong performance after a very emotional home meet last weekend at the Duke Invitational.

"Although they were physically tired, the kids handled it well," Yakola said.

Despite these factors, two first-place finishes and four personal bests showed there is still continuing improvement.

Junior Kris Stout placed first in the 400-meter hurdles in 68.97. Sophomore Megan Mitchell again demolished her previous best throw in the discus, this time with a throw of 32.98 meters. In the 1,500-meters, two Blue Devils attained personal best times as senior Nicole Pittman and sophomore Jenny Bischoff finished within two seconds of each other in 5:00.53 and 5:02.72, respectively.

Senior Christine Gregorski proved she has the ability to break the school heptathlon record as she threw the javelin 27.63 meters, finishing first in what is normally one of her weaker events.

The meet was scored as two dual-meets, with Duke defeating Wake Forest 75-65 and falling narrowly to Maryland, 84-63.

The competition from two fellow ACC schools gave the Blue Devils an indication of what to expect from these teams next weekend.

"I'd be tickled if we could beat Wake Forest [at the ACC meet]," Forbes said. "We will see some familiar faces next weekend."

In preparation for the conference meet, the team will taper its training this week.

"Everyone is ready to perform at their best effort," Yakola said. "They might surprise themselves and others as well."

Share and discuss “Women's track preps for ACCs” on social media.