Women's tennis endures wind to slam Tar Heels

CHAPEL HILL -- Although the North Carolina women have found recent success on the basketball court by winning the national championship, another UNC women's team had no luck on the court -- the tennis court -- as the 10th-ranked Duke women's tennis team soundly defeated the Tar Heels Thursday.

The Blue Devils (11-4, 4-0 in the Atlantic Coast Conference) easily won the match 8-1, with the only loss coming at No. 2 doubles, which Duke defaulted. The team only dropped two sets in its domination of UNC, despite less than ideal weather conditions.

"There were tough conditions today, cool and windy, and [the UNC courts] are slower than ours," head coach Geoff Macdonald said.

In singles action, junior Wendy Lyons easily defeated Nicole Transon 6-1, 6-2 at the No. 1 position, as did junior Monica Mraz, who beat out Ariana Cervenka 7-5, 6-1 at No. 2. Freshman Karen O'Sullivan had little trouble disposing of her opponent, Freddy Vihlein, 6-2, 6-2, and fellow freshman Kim Schiff also won 6-2, 7-5 against Scotti Thomas. Senior Hillary McKinney completed the singles sweep at the No. 6 position by defeating Alison Levy 6-2, 6-4.

The most exciting match of the day came at No. 4 singles, where freshman Wendy Fix fought through a grueling four-hour match against J.C. Biber. Biber reached match point four times, yet Fix fought back each time. After losing the first set 6-7, Fix worked through another tie-breaker situation in the second set, winning 7-6. Then, after being behind 1-5 (0-30) in the final set, Fix made an incredible comeback to win in another tie-breaker, 7-6.

"[Fix] won a match when she didn't play well," Macdonald said. "She fought."

In doubles, Mraz and Lyons needed little time to defeat Cervenka and Vihlein at the No. 1 position, 6-1, 6-2, while McKinney and senior Meredith Lukoff, playing in her first match of the season, lost the second set before storming back to win in the third set, 6-3, 4-6, 6-3.

After the team's dramatic win over fourth-ranked Florida on Saturday, combined with a stressful time in the academic year, Duke was mentally fatigued, according to Macdonald. Although North Carolina does not have a great deal of strength, the UNC-Duke match is always challenging because of the intense rivalry between the two schools. Yet the easy win in the match was a good indication of how the Blue Devils can play under a combination of these factors.

"We've been playing tough competition all year, and this was another good match," Macdonald said.

Share and discuss “Women's tennis endures wind to slam Tar Heels” on social media.