Baldwin shines in Blue-White football scrimmage

From staff reports

Running back Robert Baldwin rushed for 103 yards and two touchdowns to lead the Blue team to a 14-7 victory over the White team at the Duke spring football game held at Wallace Wade Stadium.

"I was pleased that it went well and that it was a good and competitive game," first-year head coach Fred Goldsmith said. "I felt like our team became more and more intense as the spring went on. I was pleased with the quarterbacks. I was also pleased with the way Baldwin and [Charles] London ran the ball tonight."

London led the White team with 54 rushing yards on 13 carries and one touchdown.

Quarterback Spence Fischer threw for 252 yards on 40 attempts and 23 completions for the White squad, while Joe Pickens played well for the Blue team, passing for 153 yards on 12-for-21 attempts.

Ray Wright led both teams in receiving with six receptions for 74 yards for the White team. Joel Nicholson led the Blue team with 73 yards receiving on two catches.

The Blue squad also had key defensive plays, including three interceptions and five quarterback sacks totalling 40 yards and an interception return for 26 yards by defensive back Zaid Abdul-Aleem.

"We've got a lot of work to do," Goldsmith said. "I think the key is that we have to have everyone healthy to gain a chance to win.

"So what we do in conditioning from here to September is going to be a big factor with this team."

Share and discuss “Baldwin shines in Blue-White football scrimmage” on social media.