Scanlon's love for basketball spreads to teammates

Since top athletes are often defined by their sense of determination, it is easy to see why sophomore Jen Scanlon has become one of the top players on the women's basketball team.

Scanlon leads the Blue Devils in three-point shooting percentage and has averaged 11.8 points per game. But perhaps the most important thing the 5-10 guard from Ballston Lake, N.Y., has brought to the team is her enthusiasm for basketball.

"The biggest thing with Jen is that she loves the game of basketball, and I think that's contagious," head coach Gail Goestenkors said.

"She almost always comes in early. She always stays late, comes in on days off to shoot around. Just that kind of heart, that kind of desire is infectious, and I think the other kids see that she's willing to give more to the [basketball] program."

Scanlon and her teammates will begin play at the Atlantic Coast Conference Tournament in Rock Hill, S.C., Saturday at 12:30 p.m. when they will take on Maryland.

Before coming to Duke, Scanlon earned Miss Basketball honors in New York as a senior at Shenendehowa High School. She was rated the best prep player in the East by Dick Vitale's Basketball, a national publication.

Despite the best efforts by a number of top programs to attract her, Scanlon decided to become a Blue Devil after following the career of her neighbor and former men's basketball player Greg Koubek.

"Greg Koubek went to my high school," Scanlon said. "He's a neighbor of mine and our families are friends. When he went to Duke, I started watching games on TV, and I became a really big fan."

During her freshman year, Scanlon became an integral part of the Blue Devil offense, averaging 10 points per game. Her efforts earned her a spot on the ACC All-Freshman Team.

"Last year it was my goal to make the ACC Rookie Team, and I did that," Scanlon said. "That was probably, individually, the best goal that I have had."

Unlike most players, who would consider their first season to be the most nerve-wracking, Scanlon has felt more anxiety this season.

"I think there's more pressure this year than there was my freshman year because when you make mistakes people say Oh, that was a freshman mistake' orShe's only a freshman,'" Scanlon said.

As a sophomore, Scanlon has been able to add to her offensive repertoire while starting nearly every game.

"Last year, [Scanlon] was a three-point shooter, but she could not create her own shot," Goestenkors said. "This year she just goes in, takes the ball to the basket, and she can create her own shot or create a shot for somebody else."

Scanlon's ability to create a shot under pressure was demonstrated in the team's final home game against Maryland. With just two seconds remaining, Scanlon nailed a jump shot to give the Blue Devils a victory.

"That's definitely been the most exciting game of my career," Scanlon said. "You always think of hitting a game-winning shot. That was by far the most exciting moment."

As a sophomore, Scanlon is very optimistic about Duke's future. She feels fortunate to be in the middle of a team composed of both experienced seniors and exciting new freshmen.

"It's kind of a good position for me because I have the older people who have helped me and the freshmen who are coming in and really giving us a spark," Scanlon said. "You look at them and you think about the future, and it's exciting because I think we're going to be really good.

"I think with the experience the freshmen are getting, we're going to go pretty far. Definitely next year we should make the NCAA Tournament, and I hope before I leave we'll have a chance at the final four or final eight."

For a realistic shot at a tournament bid this season, Duke will most likely have to defeat Maryland and top-seeded Virginia in back-to-back ACC Tournament games. The Cavaliers already beat the Blue Devils twice this season by an average margin of 17 points.

Share and discuss “Scanlon's love for basketball spreads to teammates” on social media.