Lacrosse travel to Navy for pivotal regional clash

Just how badly does the lacrosse team want to sink Navy?

"Since I've been here, we've been 0-3 against Navy," Duke head coach Mike Pressler said. "Two of the three years, that game has kept us out of the [NCAA] tournament.

"We've pointed to this game, not that we looked by anybody, but because we knew this would be a pivotal game for where we want to be."

Pressler feels his team has learned from those past three losses to Navy and now will be able to deal with the Midshipmen's style of play this Saturday in Annapolis.

"We're a very physical team," Pressler said. "The academies traditionally are. What they lack in lacrosse skill and ability, they make up for in athleticism, determination and physical play, so we don't just want to slug it out with them for 60 minutes.

"We want to play smart and take calculated risks. We don't want to play at their tempo. We want to make it up tempo. We want to pick our spots when we do go for a fast break."

A pick up in the pace of play may be just what the Blue Devils need against Navy.

Two of the past three matchups with the Naval Academy have seen Duke end up on the short end of the lacrosse stick by a single goal, including last year, when the Blue Devils fell by the slimmest of margins 12-11.

This year, the Blue Devils will try to pick up a victory by exploiting a thin Navy roster and creating a fast-paced game.

"Navy is playing fewer players than they've played and we're playing maybe twice as many as we've played," Pressler said. "We're deeper. That's going to be a factor in, hopefully, a hot day."

One more change in personnel may be the what finally swings the typically tight matchup in favor of the Blue Devils.

Duke goalkeeper Joe Kirmser has played very well in the early part of this season. In past years, the goal had been an area where an edge had to be given to the Midshipmen.

"The difference in Navy this year is their great goalie is gone," Pressler said. "In the past they were relying on him to win them games.

"They have a sophomore goalie in there and it just hasn't been the same as it has been in the past. That's an advantage for us. I think we're much better in the goal."

Share and discuss “Lacrosse travel to Navy for pivotal regional clash” on social media.