Covatta pins down freshman year goals

By ANDY DILLON

Only one year ago wrestler Dan Covatta was competing in the Pennsylvania High School Wrestling championships for the third time en route to his second individual championship. Covatta certainly made a name for himself in Pennsylvania prep wrestling lore.

Last weekend, however, Covatta found himself on the other end of the spectrum -- he was a little-known college freshman wrestler hoping to make a name for himself at the next level.

The NCAA Wrestling Championships, held in Chapel Hill last weekend, presented the forum for Covatta to stake his claim that he can compete and excel at the collegiate level.

Covatta won an at-large bid to the national tournament in the 142-pound weight class after an impressive performance in the Atlantic Coast Conference Championships, where he placed third and was voted into the national tournament by the ACC coaches.

Once in the tournament, Covatta proved to all that the bid was well deserved as he started competition by upsetting Corey Sonnen of Oregon. Sonnen, who was the Pac-10 champion and seeded 12th entering the tournament, was stunned by the young Blue Devil in a 6-4 decision.

Covatta next drew Charlie Branch of the Virginia Military Institute, a wrestler who Covatta lost to twice this year. Branch secured his sweep of matches against Covatta 8-3 in a contest that was much closer than the score would indicate. Though Covatta lost for the third time to Branch, in each successive meeting between the two wrestlers Covatta's margin of defeat grew smaller and smaller. Branch went on to place fourth overall in the tournament.

The format of the national tournament is double elimination, so that after a loss, the wrestler enters the losers bracket and continues to wrestle until he loses for a second time. In his first match in the losers bracket, Covatta defeated Daulbach of Central Illinois 4-2, and was eliminated from the tournament by Cashen from Central Michigan in a technical fall. Cashen continued on to place eighth in the tournament.

Covatta's performance earned 2.5 tournament points, and as Duke's only wrestler in the tournament, Covatta earned Duke 56th place out of 83 teams in the competition.

Had Covatta defeated Cashen and won the next match, he would have qualified for the medal round. Eight wrestlers qualify for the medal round, with qualification awarding All-American status. Despite his failure to qualify for the medal round, Covatta placed higher than any other freshman in the 142-pound class in this year's tournament.

"He had a real good tournament," head coach Bill Harvey said. "He was ready to go. We are real proud of his performance and effort."

Though he did not make the medal round, Covatta believes that he wrestled a strong tournament.

"I was pleased that once I was out there I had a chance to win some matches," Covatta said. "Mentally, I feel like I had a better season than I might have had. Seeing that I can hang at this [level] is a real confidence booster."

Harvey attributed Covatta's success in the tournament to his mental approach to wrestling in tournaments, an outgrowth of his wrestling experience from the high school level.

"Wrestling in college is a whole new ballgame," Covatta said. "I don't like to compare them, but high school [state championships] was definitely a good spring board for me. It got me used to the crowds, the pressure of competition, but of course, college is a lot more intense.

"I think that when I go into tournaments, I approach it with a different mentality. It is a different situation than dual meets, because it is all on the line. You have to step it up a notch. I definitely think that my high school career helped me out."

Though Covatta drew from his high school career to help him in the national tournament, Covatta is a much better wrestler now than he was last year.

"I think he improved as the season went on," Harvey said. "He got a little better each week. Wrestling in college is a lot harder than high school, it is more physical and the competition is much stronger."

Covatta, despite his impressive freshman showing in the tournament and his 18-9 record in the regular season, was a little frustrated with the season. Wrestling with a separated shoulder and ankle injury proved to be a challenge for Covatta. He was able to overcome his injuries and accomplish the goal he set for his freshman season -- qualifying for the national tournament.

"That was my goal entering the season," Covatta said. "Competing at the national level, qualifying for the tournament. For next year, I need to reset my goals. I am looking at qualifying again and hopefully placing."

With these goals in mind, Covatta is well on his way to earning All-American honors.

"I think All-American status is right around the corner," Covatta said.

Share and discuss “Covatta pins down freshman year goals” on social media.