Wrestling relaxes with win over Gardner-Webb

The wrestling team breathed a sigh of relief this weekend, solidly defeating Gardner-Webb 32-6 Saturday.

It was a sigh of relief because, after a month of facing tough Atlantic Coast Conference opponents, the Blue Devils got a chance to face an outclassed wrestling team.

Following four consecutive ACC losses, the Blue Devils desperately needed the win to gain a confidence boost going into the ACC tournament next weekend.

Duke, which also routed Gardner-Webb 52-0 last year, posted several impressive wins in the match.

The Blue Devils chalked up three superior wins (a win by 15 or more points) and two major victories (a win by eight or more points).

"After you hit Carolina, Clemson, Maryland, and N.C. State, you know, Gardner-Webb, they're certainly not going to be able to go with the ACC guys," Duke head coach Bill Harvey said.

Sophomore Scott Frinzi dominated his opponent in the 134-pound class, winning handily 19-2. Freshman Dan Covatta, not to be outdone, followed Frinzi's powerful performance with an 18-3 victory in the 142-pound weight class.

Junior Danny Lilley, wrestling in the 150-pound weight class, picked up a solid win himself.

Lilley defeated a tough opponent who had placed second in the Citadel tournament earlier in the year.

"Our guys really wrestled real well," Harvey said.

Duke once again wrestled without freshman Chris Heckel, who was injured at the Maryland match Feb. 19. Heckel, a force in the 126-pound weight class, is expected to return in time for the ACC tournament.

Heckel's absence forced Harvey to adjust his lineup, putting freshman Rich Robinson in at the 118-pound class, and Scott Graham, normally the 118-pound wrestler, in at the 126-pound class.

The Gardner-Webb victory gives the Blue Devils the extra confidence needed for next week's ACC tournament.

"If we can get enough people to score some points, we hope maybe we'll get some people in the finals and maybe if we get a little luck, maybe even a conference champ," Harvey said.

Harvey gave special notice to junior John Kays. Harvey said Kays' 1-3 ACC record is deceptive because many of those losses have come by one point or in an overtime decision.

"There's nobody in his weight class he can't beat," Harvey said. "He's got to turn it around."

If Kays and the entire Blue Devil squad can do that, then the Gardner-Webb victory may prove to be the springboard that they needed after such a tough month.

The wrestlers will now prepare for the upcoming ACCs, which will take place March 4-5 in Charlottesville, Va.

Share and discuss “Wrestling relaxes with win over Gardner-Webb” on social media.