Women's basketball shoots for NCAAs

Do or die.

According to basketball slang in pick-up games around Duke, that phrase refers to one shot that decides which team will start with the ball in the game. You make the shot, you get the ball. If you miss it, your team doesn't get it.

The women's basketball team is facing a similar situation in its quest for a bid to the NCAA Tournament. The Blue Devils' shot comes in four games during the next two weeks.

Currently having its best season in five years, Duke has driven to a 15-7 overall record, 6-6 in the Atlantic Coast Conference. This puts it right in the hunt for an at-large bid to the tournament. What will decide whether or not the Blue Devils get a coveted invitation to the big show will be their performance in the last four games and the ACC Tournament. These games constitute Duke's "do or die."

Duke begins the stretch at home tonight at 7 p.m. against a Maryland team which defeated the Blue Devils 67-50 on Feb. 5. This is followed by three road games against No. 5 North Carolina, Florida State, and Georgia Tech. Duke has already beaten Florida State and Georgia Tech this season.

This season, the NCAA field has been expanded from 48 to 64 teams, with some of the bids still going to conference champions. Past history seems to favor the Blue Devils' chances to make the NCAAs, but Duke knows that history does not always repeat itself.

"You never know with the tournament committee, that's the thing," head coach Gail Goestenkors said. "You look at last year, Georgia Tech got in and they won 15 games, that was with a 48-team tournament, so you'd like to think if you could do the same thing you'd be in it, but I wouldn't say that at all. I would guess we would have to win more like 18 games."

Out of four remaining games, the Blue Devils feel that they need to win three to be considered secure for a bid. During these four games they face the formidable task of traveling to Chapel Hill to take on UNC, which has piled up a 20-2 record, 10-2 in the ACC. How Duke fares in this game will mean a lot to the selection committee.

While a good win-loss record is important, the number of those wins that come against quality opponents is another deciding factor. Looking back over Duke's schedule, one will see that they sport an 0-3 record against top-25 teams, losing by an average margin of 15 points.

Before the UNC match-up, Duke has a pivotal hurdle to clear tonight. Maryland visits Cameron Indoor Stadium riding a five-game winning streak which has upped its record to 13-8, 7-4 in the ACC. Duke has lost five straight against Maryland at home.

"Definitely Maryland is our focal point," junior Kristina Meiman said. "If we play well and beat Maryland I think we'll have a good shot at making the tournament."

Last week in a tough 73-60 loss at then-No. 9 Virginia, junior Carey Kauffman and sophomore Alison Day teamed up inside to keep Duke even for most of the game. Another big showing by these two inside can be what pushes Duke over the top in a game filled with importance.

"Maryland is a must win for us," said Day. "We beat N.C. State, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, and Florida State, but everyone is looking at the big losses, not the small wins. We need to go out and get a big win."

Share and discuss “Women's basketball shoots for NCAAs” on social media.