Women face tough test at Maryland

There is a large question looming in the minds of the Duke women's basketball players in their upcoming game against Maryland.

Which Maryland team will show up at Cole Field House in Maryland on Saturday night? It could be the one which has won its last two games by the scores of 81-39 over Florida State and 67-46 over Georgia Tech.

However, it could be the team which earlier in the season lost five out of six games, including four within the Atlantic Coast Conference. Then again, it might be the one which remained in the Associated Press top 10 for most of last season and has won nine of its last 10 against Duke.

Most people feel that the Maryland (10-8, 5-4 in the ACC) team that shows up Saturday night at 7:30 p.m. against Duke (14-5, 6-4) will walk away with the win.

"I think we're all going to be motivated, because we know Maryland is supposed to win the game," said Duke junior forward Carey Kauffman. "Everyone in the country thinks that because we're playing Maryland, `Oh Maryland, there's no way in hell Duke's going to beat them.' I think that kind of pushes us. That's when you have to step up your own game."

There are several reasons why that might be difficult to do, but it may only take one reason. That reason will be senior All-America candidate Bonnie Rimkus. Rimkus leads Maryland with 18.7 points per game and 10.9 rebounds per game.

Rimkus, however, is not a one-player show. She gets plenty of help in the paint, as her starting frontcourt mates both average over 13 points and six rebounds per game.

"They're extremely athletic, unbelievable. Their three, four and five players can play with anyone in the country, they're just unbelievable," Duke head coach Gail Goestenkors said. "It's going to be a challenge for us defensively because we haven't done a good job with our post defense."

Maryland does have unbelievable talent, but Duke has also been quite impressive this season. Kauffman and freshman Tyish Hall have both been playing well inside and will be key if the Blue Devils plan to win a game on Maryland's home court.

Duke has executed an amazing turn-around this season and is positioning itself for a possible NCAA Tournament bid. A win against Maryland on the road would not only help the Blue Devils within the ACC but would also aid in Duke's quest for more respect, both in the conference and in the nation.

The Blue Devils still have games left at No. 10 Virginia, at No. 3 North Carolina, and against Maryland at home on Feb. 18. A win Saturday night would be a huge step in Duke's quest to gain a bid to this year's NCAA Tournament.

"Right know we're tied for fourth with them in the conference, so it's going to be a battle. We need to win this game." Goestenkors said.

The Blue Devils will not know until game time which Maryland team will appear, but either way, they will face a hard-fought game, especially in the paint.

Share and discuss “Women face tough test at Maryland” on social media.