Volleyball flies through weekend with blowouts

Obviously the women's volleyball team's recent success has been getting them many weekend dates.

The Blue Devils played games on both Friday and Saturday night like they had somewhere else to be. Fans had barely settled in the stands with their hot dogs and drinks before it was time to leave again.

Duke helped tuck the Tigers' tails between their legs as it promptly defeated Auburn 15-3, 15-11, 15-9 in one hour and 19 minutes on Friday night and came back Saturday night to quickly dispose of the Georgetown Hoyas 15-5, 15-6, 15-12.

"We just decided we didn't want to drag on either of the games," senior Jen Rohrig said.

Apparently tired of improving her own statistics, junior Adrian Nicol wanted to end both games quickly. After racking up 10 kills and a .529 hitting percentage against Auburn, Nicol continued her dominance against Georgetown, recording 16 kills and a .524 hitting percentage.

As if that was not enough, the middle blocker's biggest weekend highlight came away from the net. With Duke ahead 7-5 in the first set against Georgetown, Nicol took over the serve.

What followed were eight straight Duke points including five aces as Nicol single-handedly finished off the first set of Duke's three-set victory.

"We just planned on hitting to the corners and I was getting lucky," Nicol said. "I felt sorry because it kept going to the same poor girl."

While Nicol led the way in both Blue Devil wins, her teammates were not about to let her take all of the glory. Rohrig must not have been happy with her already impressive season statistics as she collected 20 kills and 8 digs against Auburn on the way to a .586 hitting percentage. This raises her season average to a team-leading .332.

Since Duke had its two big guns working, there had to be someone there to supply the ammunition. Sophomore Cappy Meyer led the way against Auburn with 35 of the teams 37 assists.

"Cappy had two great games which really helped the hitters and the rest of the team," Nicol said.

Although Meyer certainly put up big numbers and helped her teammates excel, she was not one to dwell on her own good performance.

"I didn't think I played as good as I have been, but the team played well," Meyer said.

Duke's dominance sent two falling teams reeling even further. Auburn dropped to 5-6 overall, and Georgetown fell to 4-9. The Blue Devils realize that the competition will be getting tougher, and they are trying to keep focused for their upcoming games.

Duke takes its 10-2 record, 1-0 in the Atlantic Coast Conference, north to Virginia and Maryland this weekend where it faces another pair of hurdles on its path to a third consecutive ACC Championship.

Share and discuss “Volleyball flies through weekend with blowouts” on social media.