March to better black-Asian relations

Last year's Rodney King trial and subsequent rioting in Los Angeles created a severe tension between Asian and African Americans that has yet to be resolved. No action was taken in the aftermath of the eruption, and since then, the situation has only gotten worse. Fortunately, however, there was no violence this year.

Despite the strained relations in Los Angeles and around the country, we at Duke University enjoy a more promising atmosphere; relations between blacks and Asians are neither good nor bad, but simply nonexistent. The diseases that cause poor interaction are the chronic problems of misunderstanding and lack of effort. These evils perpetuate a vicious cycle of mis-communication and aggravate conditions between races.

Let's break the cycle. We must take advantage of our present circumstances and be thankful that we do not have to mend any past differences between blacks and Asians. Instead, any contact that takes place will be a positive improvement. Let's work together to do something about Asian-black relations before they get worse.

And let us not stop there. Asians and blacks are not the only groups experiencing difficulties with interaction. Problems exist everywhere between people of all races and groups of all backgrounds. We need to support each other if anything is to be improved.

As Duke students, we are the future leaders of America and the future voices of equality and unity in this nation. Unity equals empowerment. Everyone within the Duke community who feels shortchanged by Duke's promise of diversity can change the stagnating condition of our environment through the impetus of social and political networking. We all have common goals--one of which is the creation of a panoramic view of curricula. As members of such an upstanding university, we need to actively pursue a strategy that will foster a more diverse student and faculty population at Duke.

It has often been said that Duke students are passive--Jesse Jackson asked, "Why the silence?" Are we really a bunch of reactionaries? Or will we be the true leaders of tomorrow and become visionaries?

Come express your opinions Friday, April 23 at 3 p.m. in front of the Chapel. There will be an "open mike" session followed by a march from West Campus to East Campus at 4 p.m.. Don't be quiet. We need you to speak out. We need you to March for Unity.

Darren Jer

ASA president-elect

Sana Coleman

BSA president-elect

Share and discuss “March to better black-Asian relations” on social media.