Handgun sales in Durham rise after shooting of teenager

Rising crime and the publicity surrounding the shooting death of a Durham teenager have sparked an increased interest in the purchase of handguns among Durham citizens.

The number of applications for handgun permits has risen quickly since March 18, the day on which Jamal Elliott was shot, said Angela Brandenburg, clerk at the Durham County Sheriff's Department.

The sheriff's department issued 288 permits in the month of March, compared to 208 permits last March, she said.

Elliott, 15, was allegedly shot in the back and killed by Durham resident Michael Seagroves after he and four other Durham teenagers had attempted to break into Seagroves' home.

Seagroves has been charged with involuntary manslaughter.

Sharon Duke, co-owner of Armory Arms, said that gun sales in her store have increased between 30 and 40 percent since the incident.

"A lot of people are tired of other people taking what belongs to them," said Duke. "They're tired of being harassed."

Other gun store owners have also noticed an increased interest in purchasing firearms.

"There are a lot more people asking questions about firearms," said Bobby Buchanan, owner of BH Lock and Arms. "I'm sure that there's a lot more [gun] sales everywhere."

Gun sales in Buchanan's store have increased significantly since the shooting incident, he said.

To purchase a handgun, Durham residents must submit their permit applications to the sheriff's department. A waiting period of 10 to 15 working days then follows, during which time the applicants' records are examined. If the sheriff's department approves an application, a permit is then issued.

It is not necessary to obtain a permit in order to purchase a rifle. Seagroves used a rifle to shoot Elliott.

Durham mayor Harry Rodenhizer said that he hopes that the increase in gun sales does not mean that people are trying to take the law into their own hands. "Obviously the residents are very uncomfortable about the abilities of the police department to take care of [crime]. That's unfortunate."

The Durham community has remained divided on the issue of whether the shooting of Elliott was justified. Critical details of the incident, such as whether or not Elliott was shot in the back while trying to flee from the house, have not yet been determined. A preliminary hearing has been scheduled for April 30.

Rodenhizer said that he was very surprised when he heard that some people he knew had bought guns.

"I think that statistically those who try to defend themselves are the ones who end up hurt," he said.

City council member Isaac Robinson said that the increase in gun sales reflects Durham residents' growing feelings of insecurity in their homes.

"Homeowners are very concerned about what they can do to insure their safety," he said. "There seems to be a sort of southern culture value of defending one's home and property. The idea of taking the law into your own hands is a southern concept."

Robinson said that Southerners have always been prone to feel the constitutional right to bear arms.

Share and discuss “Handgun sales in Durham rise after shooting of teenager” on social media.