2018 Virginia Tech football season preview

2017 season: 9-4, 5-3 in the ACC (2nd in the Coastal Division)

Head coach: Justin Fuente (3rd season) 

Last season, the Hokies started off strong, winning their first four games en route to a No. 12 ranking in the AP poll before falling to No. 2 Clemson at home. In this stretch, Virginia Tech put up 40 points per game, led by then-senior wideout Cam Phillips' 523 receiving yards and five touchdowns.  

The offense cooled off mightily, however, during the rest of the season, and only averaged 22.9 points per game down the stretch.  

Despite their offense’s relative mediocrity, the Hokies’ defense was dominant all season, finishing fifth in the nation in points allowed per game and 12th in yards per game and yards allowed per carry. Virginia Tech did lose seven defensive starters from a year ago, including first-team all-ACC linebacker Tremaine Edmunds, who was selected in the first round of the NFL Draft. 

The Hokies return plenty of talent on the other side of the ball—seven offensive starters are back in Blacksburg this fall. Almost all contributing skill position players will be on the field for the Hokies, including quarterback Josh Jackson. Three offensive line starters are gone, though, making for a bit of uncertainty in the trenches. 

In their 2017 meeting, the Hokies held Duke to just 183 total yards in a sloppy 24-3 win that came amidst a driving rain throughout the contest. Virginia Tech may be hard-pressed to find the kind of success this year in Durham against an improved Daniel Jones with its inexperienced secondary.  

Share and discuss “2018 Virginia Tech football season preview ” on social media.