Grant Hill becomes first former Duke player inducted to Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame

<p>Grant Hill will be enshrined in the Hall of Fame in September, joining his former head coach Mike Krzyzewski in Springfield.</p>

Grant Hill will be enshrined in the Hall of Fame in September, joining his former head coach Mike Krzyzewski in Springfield.

After numerous national players of the year, Olympians and top draft picks, Duke finally has its first Hall of Fame player.

Grant Hill will be part of the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame's Class of 2018 announced Saturday, becoming the first former Blue Devil player ever to receive the honor. Former NBA stars Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, Ray Allen, Maurice Cheeks and Charlie Scott will all join Hill in the Hall of Fame.

Hill won two national titles and took Duke to a third Final Four during his career from 1990-94, earning National Defensive Player of the Year, ACC Player of the Year and first-team All-American honors as a Blue Devil.

He was the No. 3 overall pick in the 1994 NBA Draft to the Detroit Pistons and made the All-Star team in his first four seasons, earning first-team All-NBA recognition in 1997. Multiple ankle injuries cut his prime short, but he remained a meaningful contributor during an 18-year career for the Pistons, Orlando Magic, Phoenix Suns and Los Angeles Clippers that featured seven total All-Star selections.

Hill will not be the only member of the Hall's 2018 class with a connection to the Blue Devils. Former Duke player and head coach at Davidson and Maryland Lefty Driesell will be inducted as a coach.

Executives Rod Thorn and Rick Welts, EuroLeague standout Dino Radja and women's basketball stars Katie Smith, Tina Thompson and Ora Mae Washington round out the 2018 Hall of Fame class. The induction ceremony will take place in September at the Hall of Fame in Springfield, Mass.

Share and discuss “Grant Hill becomes first former Duke player inducted to Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame” on social media.