​These things of darkness

esse quam videri

With a semester of writing behind me and my final semester at Duke ahead, I turn once more to self-reflection for my first column. Last semester, I tackled a range of organizations and issues in the hope of finding truth in each one. For me, this experience of writing attempted to provide an objective perspective on the disparity between actions and perceptions. Moreover, to illustrate how certain perceptions do not truly reflect the actions that generated them.

What I found through my writing told me more about morality than it did about subjectivity. After all, no organization or individual at Duke is perfect. Each is subject to flaws in its own way.

However, what separates how individuals at Duke perceive these entities is ownership. It is the people and organizations that take responsibility for their actions and work to rectify their mistakes that achieve the most success.

My personal grievances with The Chronicle’s independent Editorial Board stemmed from their inability to self-regulate and grow from mistakes. Student frustration with issues ranging from food on campus to social events off campus also stems partially from the administration’s failing to admit fault.

While each of these cases centers on some different aspect of Duke’s campus, the root cause of frustration remains the same. Issues such as the ones mentioned above serve only to annoy students. Organizations and administrators who fail to take ownership of their actions, however, make students livid.

Every organization at sometime in their existence at Duke will eventually commit an action for the wrong reason or stray from their overall mission.

The same applies to individuals. I will admit that I too sometimes lost my way. My writing last semester was far from perfect.

There were times when almost 12 hours after my deadline I was forced to rush the fundamentals of a column. When my own beliefs began to take precedence over an objective analysis. When I was too scared to publish certain views for fear of the repercussions.

However, as an individual, these mistakes are a part of life.

As Shakespeare writes in “The Tempest,” “This thing of darkness I acknowledge mine.”

In the context of “The Tempest,” this quote is from the character Prospero referring to his monstrous slave, Caliban. Prospero’s acknowledgement of the abuse associated with Caliban and more importantly recognition of his own role in Caliban’s actions. In a direct sense, Prospero recognizes that the evil of Caliban is a part of him.

In our own lives, we each have a Caliban. Some part of or association with our self that despite our best efforts will occasionally rear its ugly head. That will tell us to act to further our self-interests at a cost to others. To deny its existence, however, is to let our own self-image get the better of us.

Each one of us will make mistakes and act in our own self-interest at some point in our Duke career. No will truly leave Duke without ultimately having committed some wrong.

What ultimately separates the good and evil in each action is ownership and acceptance of our actions. It is the first step towards rectifying the wrongs in life.

It is also a model for how organizations should act at Duke to expand their appeal. It allows organizations to prevent mistakes from simply being covered up. Moreover, it opens up the organization to external criticism. In acknowledging their errors, organizations ultimately have something to gain.

Going forward though, this reflection will guide me as I continue to try my best to transform seeming on this campus to being. Topics this semester might try to tackle more, effect more change, or create a more interesting conversation. Besides actually following through on my promise to write a column on DUU, Campus Enterprises and the SOFC funding of religious groups, I am adding a couple more organizations and issues to my agenda.

First, the issue of Duke Student Government and restructuring. Second, the end of the golden era of Duke basketball. Third, any and all scandals and controversies that might arise in my final semester. After all, the fall was almost too calm. Whatever the issue is, there’s no doubt in my mind that as Duke continues to progress, mistakes will be made and ownership may or may not be taken.

The semester is full of possibilities, and I look forward to covering them as best as I can.

George Mellgard is a Trinity senior. His column, “esse quam videri,” runs on alternate Wednesdays.

Share and discuss “​These things of darkness” on social media.