Authority back to the voter

duke political union

In 2010 the Supreme Court made the most influential decision in this nation’s history. In Citizens United v. Federal Election Committee the court ruled in a 5-4 decision that the government cannot limit corporate funding of independent political broadcasts in candidate elections. This means the outright abuse of an already biased media, millions of dollars lost to combative advertising and ultimately the downfall of democracy. So, this is no joke.

Forcing the political system of America to rely on the wealthiest individuals defies the very foundation of our Constitution. We the people does not mean We, the very rich people who will influence everyone else’s political views by flooding the country with opinionated advertising that suits our political agenda. Freedom of speech has been limited in numerous Supreme Court cases despite the absolute wording of the First Amendment, and it must be limited here. Since the ruling, donations to super PACs (the committees that organize political advertisement spending) have increased from $62 million in 2010 to $1.1 billion in this election. That is more than the GDP of many countries.

Even more concerning is that of this total, 20 percent came from just ten donors. That is not a party issue; that is an issue of equality. Money does not always determine the outcome of an election. Jeb Bush had a well-funded super PAC and failed to even contend for the Republican presidential nomination. Still, amassing money for campaigns has become essential for the perceived success of politicians. Take Hillary Clinton, who spent more time fundraising this year than at public events. This transformation of elections into a money-guzzling machine that puts out more negative ads than positive ones is defiling the integrity of candidates and pushing everyday citizens out of the democratic process.

As the digital age draws us closer together and allows more political information and interaction for the public than ever, the U.S. is quelling the opinions of common people in favor of those with deep pockets. When someone gives millions of dollars to support a candidate, there is no question that they expect political favors in return.

If we continue to allow those with the most money to control nearly everything we see and hear about politicians, we lose democracy. The corruption of our political system is founded in the ability of wealthy corporations and unions to fund candidate’s into office and then use them as puppets to further their own political desires. Teddy Roosevelt predicted this abuse of wealth over one hundred years ago urging that “all contributions by corporations to any political committee or for any political purpose should be forbidden by law.” Even Tom Steyer, the biggest super PAC donor of this election with over $50 million in contributions, said that Citizens United was a “terrible decision.”

This is not representing the best interests of all the people; this is legalized bribery that represents the few. In Justice Anthony Kennedy’s majority opinion on the case, he wrote that “shareholders can determine whether their corporation’s political speech advances the corporation’s interest in making profits.”

Yes, he is quite literally saying that corporations can use their vast wealth to finance advertisements for candidates in order to make their businesses more money. Because the hundreds of millions of dollars these monopolies hold clearly don’t pay the gas bills.

I support the overrule of Citizens United through a Supreme Court that recognizes the serious dangers it presents to our republic. I support complete transparency in funding of campaigns and advertisements. I support an equal budget for all candidates. I support keeping democracy alive through this era of immense wealth distribution disparities and complicated technological changes. I support a country where each person who runs for office runs as an individual with beliefs defined by their own core values and not those of corporations. I support a nation that fairly represents all its citizens and makes sure that they are properly informed through the least biased means possible. I support getting big money out of politics and bringing authority back to the average voter.

Attach your name to all the politicians who despite their own actions have acknowledged the damage caused by Citizens United and firmly vowed to end it. The law is not something to be bought.

Ethan Miller is a Trinity sophomore. He is a director in the Duke Political Union.

Share and discuss “Authority back to the voter” on social media.