​Duke football quarterback Thomas Sirk suffers significant Achilles injury, out for 2016 season

Sirk had been recovering since tearing his left Achilles' tendon in February

<p>Thomas Sirk has reportedly suffered his second significant Achilles injury in the past 6 months.&nbsp;</p>

Thomas Sirk has reportedly suffered his second significant Achilles injury in the past 6 months. 

Redshirt senior quarterback Thomas Sirk suffered a significant injury to the left Achilles' tendon he tore in February and will miss the 2016 season due to another surgery, the Durham Herald-Sun's Steve Wiseman reported Friday evening. 

According to the report, Sirk re-injured the Achilles Thursday before tests Friday revealed that it was significant.

Duke's leading passer and rusher last season, Sirk had been making a speedy recovery in an attempt to play much of the season. Now the Blue Devils will likely turn to redshirt freshman Daniel Jones to lead the offense. Jones has been getting most of the first-team repetitions in practice in fall camp and threw two touchdowns in the team's Aug. 19 scrimmage.

In the team's projected offensive starting lineup for its Sept. 3 season opener against N.C. Central, Jones was listed as the starting quarterback.

The team confirmed the report and that Sirk is out for the season Saturday afternoon. He suffered a partial tear of the same Achilles' tendon and will have surgery at a later date.

The injury is Sirk's third significant Achilles' tendon injury since becoming a Blue Devil. He missed the 2013 season after tearing his right Achilles, then suffered a left Achilles tear in February during a team conditioning drill.

Under NCAA rules, the Glen St. Mary, Fla., native could apply for another year of eligibility if he loses two seasons due to injury.

When Sirk missed time last season, redshirt junior Parker Boehme filled in. Boehme has also worked a bit with the first team in practice behind Jones, a 6-foot-5 Charlotte native.

Check back for updates on this developing story.

Share and discuss “​Duke football quarterback Thomas Sirk suffers significant Achilles injury, out for 2016 season” on social media.