Duke in the NBA: Ingram, Plumlee begin pro careers in summer league action

<p>Marshall Plumlee showed off his range and averaged 6.0 points in three games for the New York Knicks in the Orlando Summer League.</p>

Marshall Plumlee showed off his range and averaged 6.0 points in three games for the New York Knicks in the Orlando Summer League.

With the NBA postseason and draft over, several former Blue Devils are making their professional debuts, gaining more playing experience or trying to secure a roster spot as they participate in the NBA’s various summer leagues. Here is a breakdown of how they have performed so far. 

Justise Winslow, Miami Heat: Winslow is playing in the summer league for the second consecutive year after scoring 6.4 points per game and shooting 42.2 percent as a rookie last season. Although he averaged 16.3 points in three games in the Orlando Summer League, Winslow shot just 29.8 percent from the field and 23.5 percent from beyond the arc. Against the Detroit Pistons July 7, the 6-foot-7 forward finished 3-of-17 with 13 points.

But despite his shooting struggles, Winslow has displayed glimpses of his athleticism and play-making ability. 

With the departure of 12-time All-Star guard Dwyane Wade from the Heat, Winslow will have a chance to become a starter this upcoming season if he improves his perimeter shooting during the offseason. 

Brandon Ingram, Los Angeles Lakers: Ingram has had an unspectacular start to his professional career, but he showcased his versatility at times in three games with the Lakers in the Las Vegas Summer League. In his debut against the New Orleans Pelicans Friday, the 2016 No. 2 overall pick finished with 12 points on 5-of-9 shooting, four rebounds and a pair of blocks. Ingram took few bad shots and relied on a variety of crafty moves to attack the basket and create his own shot around the perimeter. 

Although Ingram shot just 3-for-12 in his second game Saturday against the Philadelphia 76ers, he helped lead the Lakers to a come-from-behind win in a showdown against No. 1 pick Ben Simmons, scoring six of his seven points in the last six minutes of the fourth quarter.

Ingram lost his rhythm in his third showing, though, shooting 0-for-5 from the field and scoring seven points from the free throw line as the Warriors gave him little breathing room. Given his slender 6-foot-9, 190 pound frame, how Ingram handles physical defenses will be a major factor in how successful he is to begin his NBA career. 

Marshall Plumlee, New York Knicks: Plumlee—who signed a three-year contract with the Knicks as an undrafted free agent with one year fully guaranteed—averaged 6.0 points, 4.8 rebounds and 21.5 minutes per contest in three games in the Orlando Summer League. His strongest showing came against the Miami Heat July 3, when he scored eight points, grabbed seven rebounds and did not commit a foul in 23 minutes.

Plumlee knocked down a deep midrange jumper in his professional debut July 2 against the Detroit Pistons, and the 7-foot center will have to continue to develop his offensive game during the offseason to receive playing time once the NBA regular season begins.

Tyus Jones, Minnesota Timberwolves: After scoring 4.2 points per game in 37 contests during his rookie year, Jones has excelled in his first three games in the Las Vegas Summer League. Although the Timberwolves have lost all three games, Jones is averaging 15.0 points, 5.0 rebounds and 3.7 assists per game and shooting 42.9 percent from beyond the arc. The 6-foot-2 point guard notched a double-double July 8 against the Denver Nuggets with 12 points and 10 rebounds.

It will be difficult for Jones to step into a bigger role next year with Ricky Rubio firmly entrenched as Minnesota's starting point guard and No. 5 overall pick Kris Dunn entering the fold as a rookie, but Jones is making his case this summer to earn more playing time when the season starts.

Quinn Cook, NBA D-League Select Team: After scoring 19.6 points per game and winning NBA D-League Rookie of the Year last year, Cook has struggled in the summer league. The second-year point guard has scored a combined 10 points and averaged 13.3 minutes per contest through three games. He has shot just 23.1 percent from the field and finished scoreless in 10 minutes in the D-League Select Team's meeting with the Milwaukee Bucks Sunday.

Cook will have to elevate his play to have a chance of making an NBA roster by the beginning of the NBA regular season.

Andre Dawkins, Dallas Mavericks: Dawkins averaged 11.2 points per game in the Mavericks' five games in the Orlando Summer League and scored at least 14 points in three contests. The undrafted sharpshooter shot 51.4 percent from the field and 45.0 percent from 3-point range.

Dawkins is trying to make an NBA roster again after a brief four-game cameo for the Miami Heat during the 2014-15 season, when he scored a total of three points. The 6-foot-4 guard started last season playing professionally in Italy before returning to the U.S. in March to play in the D-League for the Texas Legends.

Share and discuss “Duke in the NBA: Ingram, Plumlee begin pro careers in summer league action” on social media.