Letter to the Editor

A response to this column can be found here.

Another response can be found here.

Having made the journey back to Duke for the first time since 1986, I took my son to see a plaque in the Bryan Center that had several names on it, among them my late father. The plaque is no longer there, replaced by The Center for Sexual and Gender Diversity. Across the hall, an art exhibit (which was closed for winter break) asked, among other things, what is given up when one is out of the closet. I understand there is a generational over-acceptance of sexual and gender issues, but it breaks my heart that Duke students cannot think past a reflexive change in our society with clear-headed reason.

As much as it will hurt those who have a Pavlovian support for anything involving homosexual activity, the hard truth is that such activity means a life expectancy of 8-20 years less than that of one who avoids such activity. If you carry in you a sadness for those gay persons who have to face this unfortunate fact in their lives, you should be commended for your humanity. If you support the advancement of these activities and the uplifting tone of their self-appointed rainbow flag, I have to wonder about your real concern for humanity and your ability to rationally think through these issues. I look at that flag, and I hurt for those who suffer. However, when I see the flag, I also think about people that would promote such a thing and see a follow-the-herd mentality that should not exist in the hallowed halls of Duke University. 

On a related note, the trans-gender movement is so focused on growth that it aggressively ignores contravening research such as the findings of Paul McHugh, the former Psychiatrist in Chief at Johns Hopkins. He reaches the conclusion that biological sex change is impossible and such efforts only serve to promote mental illness. If I were gay or trans-gendered, and certainly before the University decides to institutionally support homosexuality and gender changes, I would want to know all of the relevant consequences in order to make an informed decision. That is what a Duke Student, and Duke University, should do.

Paul Mees

T ‘86

Share and discuss “Letter to the Editor” on social media.