Letter to the Editor

In reply to Paul Mees

Paul Mees' January 14th Letter to the Editor spreads misinformation about being LGBT that was rejected beginning in the 1970’s by all major professional groups associated with medicine, psychology/psychiatry and the social sciences.

He encapsulates his fallacy by saying, “If I were gay or trans-gendered [sic]... I would want to know all of the relevant consequences in order to make an informed decision.” Being LGBT is not a choice. It is a reality that exists aside from human action to create or change. 

Mees’ specious argument that “the hard truth is that such activity means a life expectancy of 8-20 years less than that of one who avoids such activity” is intellectually flawed and dishonest. HIV infection (the cause he cites for shorter life spans) is not a “gay” disease. People of all sexual orientations are at risk of HIV infection. Only safe sexual practices make a difference. That is modern medical fact. 

Dr. Paul McHugh, formerly of Johns Hopkins, in regard to the options available to those who are born transgender, represents fringe psychiatry that has been refuted by major authorities and the leading professional organizations.

“Lessened quality of life” for LGBT persons results from a society that ostracizes, discriminates against, stigmatizes, underserves (medical, emotional and social needs) and otherwise marginalizes those whose sexual orientation and/or gender identity it deems unacceptable based on ignorance and antiquated thinking.

What Mees expresses in his commentary perpetuates negative social attitudes toward LGBT persons. His thinking embodies what has harmed and denied fully equal human rights to decent human beings for far too long. That is unacceptable. That goes against everything Duke represents and promises its students.

The only choice involved in being LGBT is whether to accept and live one’s truth or to engage in self-destructive denial. That and that alone is the truth Duke University has a responsibility to teach and support. 

Mark S. Fischer

Trinity ’71, Graduate School ‘72

Share and discuss “Letter to the Editor” on social media.