All-American Lexie Brown to transfer to Duke women's basketball from Maryland

Guard Lexie Brown will sit out the upcoming season under NCAA transfer rules before suiting up for the Blue Devils in 2016-17.

The future looks bright for head coach Joanne P. McCallie's backcourt.

McCallie announced Monday that star Maryland guard Lexie Brown will transfer to Duke and be eligible after sitting out the 2015-16 season. Brown was a third-team All-American and first-team All-Big Ten selection last season after averaging 13.3 points, 4.5 assists, 3.3 rebounds and 2.2 steals per contest and canning 69 3-pointers.

Brown will likely get to play in the backcourt with several members of the Blue Devils' incoming freshman class—which is ranked No. 2 in the country and features five touted guards—and will have two years of eligibility once she suits up for Duke.

“Lexie is an incredible student-athlete,” McCallie said in a press release. “She is highly motivated to pursue academics and basketball at the highest level in the ACC. We are thrilled to welcome her to the Duke family.”

Brown helped guide the Terrapins to the Final Four in both of her seasons in College Park, Md., which were split between Maryland's final season in the ACC and its first in the Big Ten. The 5-foot-9, Suwanee, Ga., native averaged 10.1 points, 4.3 assists and 1.4 steals per game as a freshman and earned a spot on the All-ACC Freshman Team.

“I am extremely excited about going to Duke. I had a lot of discussions with my family about where I could make a new home for myself," Brown told GoDuke.com. "The Duke staff and everybody I met on my visit were extremely welcoming and gave me a lot of useful information. I think I made the perfect choice for my new home.”

Brown helped the Terrapins run the table in their first season in the Big Ten, earning a No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament in the process. McCallie and the Blue Devils got to see Brown up close in late March, as Maryland ended Duke's season in the Sweet 16 in Spokane, Wash. Brown was kept largely in check in that game, finishing with one point, but said she expects to thrive in McCallie's system.

“I cannot wait to play for Coach P. I have only played against her and I have always admired her passion and love while she was coaching her team. We had a lot of great talks the past couple of weeks and good conversations on my visit," Brown said. "I think she is going to make me into a great player, help me reach my full potential and help me reach all my personal goals as well as help me with the team goals. So I am really excited.”

Brown started 66 of her 71 career games at Maryland.

This article was updated at 9:40 p.m. with Brown's quotes.

Share and discuss “All-American Lexie Brown to transfer to Duke women's basketball from Maryland” on social media.