Three named Duke undergraduate Young Trustee finalists

Seniors Nikolai Doytchinov, Anna Knight and David Robertson have been named finalists for undergraduate Young Trustee.

The three were selected from a pool of eight semifinalists by the Young Trustee Nominating Committee. The student body will select the Young Trustee in a Feb. 5 election.

"The group as a whole was extremely impressive," said junior Jay Sullivan, chair of the YTNC. "It was a difficult process."

The YTNC chose the finalists after conducting interviews with all eight semifinalists this weekend. The committee's bylaws dictate that two to five finalists must be chosen.

All eight of this year's semifinalists are seniors.

For the first time since 2011, the YTNC cut applicants from the pool before naming the semifinalists. Bylaws require a minimum of eight semifinalists with no maximum, and in recent years, all applicants were named semifinalists.

Each of the finalists expressed a feeling of excitement over their selection.

Doytchinov, who served as Duke Student Government executive vice president as a junior, said he was particularly honored to be selected as a finalist because all of the candidates this year had been so well-qualified.

"It’s a huge honor to be part of process, and I look forward to sharing my experience and vision with students in the upcoming weeks, I am very humbled and excited," Doytchinov said.

Knight, who serves as the president of Engineering Student Government, said, although she was a little nervous for the process to come, she was excited to have been selected as a finalist.

"The Young Trustee position has had an absolutely incredible pool of applicants, and I’m very honored to have been among this very qualified competition. I’m excited to talk about my opinions to all of Duke and bring a new undergraduate student perspective to the Board of Trustees," Knight said.

Robertson, who serves as the DSG vice president for Durham and regional affairs, said, given the qualifications of the semifinalists, he felt humbled to have been selected as a finalist.

"I’m thrilled to hopefully represent or campaign to represent some of the people I’ve been involved with on campus and be able to make as many voices heard as possible," Robertson said.

This article was updated at 1:00 a.m. to reflect the candidates' sentiments.

Correction: an earlier version of this article stated that the election would be held Feb. 7. It will be held Feb. 5. The Chronicle regrets the error.

Share and discuss “Three named Duke undergraduate Young Trustee finalists” on social media.