Don’t rush too quickly

For some, the start of the spring term heralds frosty nights shivering in K-Ville tents; for others, the growing academic to-do list serves a rude awakening from break. For many freshmen and sophomores, however, the beginning of the semester is dominated by laborious recruitment schedules for Selective Living Groups, PanHellenic sororities and Interfraternity Council fraternities. Today, we examine the recruitment process and ways to reframe engagement.

We have previously discussed that, in an ideal Duke world, greek life would not exist because of the campus stratification it institutionalizes and the conformity it encourages. The reality, however, is that approximately 34 percent of Duke students are greek affiliated, with just under 40 percent of women involved in sororities and nearly 30 percent of men in fraternities. Last year reported a record number of sophomores rushing SLGs and greek organizations.

The reasons for seeking membership in greek organizations or SLGs are numerous and varied. For many freshmen, the transition from East Campus to the large and unknown abyss of upperclassman living brings with it fear of losing the security and comfort that East Campus provided. Joining an established group may appear to remedy the fact that close-knit hall communities fracture into small pockets around campus—especially with the new housing policy limiting bloc sizes to only six students. External pressures tied to campus social culture—one in which status and a semblance of a social life seem tied to greek life and SLGs—also reel students in.

The desire for acceptance is an understandable and deeply human one—yet the process to achieve that belongingness often sows more insecurity and internal angst than unity. The ingrained hierarchies and exclusivity found in social groups at Duke—the “tier system”—often frames recruitment as survival of the fittest rather than as a process of finding real friendships.

As we enter the throes of the recruitment season, we challenge those involved—both prospective students and current members—to reframe the approach to recruitment. To see it not as an opportunity to climb the fictitious social ladder but, rather, as an opportunity to meet individuals you want to get to know over the next three years. To rush not simply because it is the thing to do or because everyone else appears to be doing so but, rather, because it is right for you—and, if so, then be engaged, critical and introspective throughout the process. Recruitment, by nature, is a process of both acceptance and rejection. And while denial can feel personal, it too is an opportunity for reflection—does the disappointment stem from being left out of a “top tier” selective group, one whose members you may not have clicked with? Or was it denial despite a true connection? In either case, titles of greek organizations or SLGs are not the prerequisites to relationships or personal worth.

The introduction of new anonymous public platforms like Yik Yak and the new Snapchat Campus Story this year may sway the atmosphere of recruitment this season. It is up to students to use these platforms responsibly. Ultimately, recruitment should be a process of community and self-discovery rather than one of exclusion and status seeking. Be active in integrating reflection in every stage of the recruitment process, and do not rush into anything too quickly.

Share and discuss “Don’t rush too quickly” on social media.