Bryan Center construction kicks off

Chronicle File Photo
Chronicle File Photo

Work on the Bryan Center's newest upgrade began in earnest over winter break.

Crews spent the last several weeks doing demolition work—tearing down the first set of double doors in the building's main entrance. To keep disruptions to a minimum, work will pause until Spring Break.

"It helps with traffic flow immediately, because people only have to go through one set of doors," said Sarah Burdick, director of administration and special projects.

Plans had originally called for the work to begin during Spring Break, which would have required the closure of the main entrance for the rest of the spring semester. By spacing the work out over breaks, the University should be able to avoid closing the entrance during the semester, Burdick said.

After picking back up for Spring Break, crews will again pause and will likely resume the work following commencement in May, though there is a chance that the renovations might begin slightly earlier in April, Burdick said.

The work should be completed in time for the start of the 2015-16 academic year.

The entrance is being renovated to improve the environment inside and around the Bryan Center and will include a new glass facade that will allow for increased natural light. The design was inspired by campus structures such as Penn Pavilion and Von der Heyden Pavilion.

Work continues on a number of other campus construction projects—some of which are not far from completion.

The water reclamation pond, at the corner of Towerview Drive and Erwin Road, will open later this Spring, Burdick said. The pond itself has been completed, and water is being pumped from the pond to a chilled water plant to help bring the University's net water usage for heating and cooling closer to zero. Work on a bridge, pier and pumphouse have also been completed.

The largest remaining aspect of the project is the plant life that will surround the pond. The plants must be well-established before the pond can open to visitors, Burdick noted.

Chronicle File Photo

"It's going to be beautiful, but it's going to take a little bit for the plants to take root," she said.

Once the plants have taken root, the pond will be ready to open—likely by May, Burdick said.

The pond was originally scheduled to be completed by Spring 2014, but poor weather caused delays.

Work on Page Auditorium will also be completed by the end of the semester. The 80-year-old auditorium has been closed this year for a "facelift," in Burdick's words—new seating, increased accessibility for those with disabilities, new lighting and new carpeting.

Page will hold worship services when the Chapel closes for renovations in May, Burdick noted.

The renovations to West Union continue as well, on track to be completed by Spring 2016. A new foundation has been poured, and work will begin on the steel structure of the framework in February.

Share and discuss “Bryan Center construction kicks off” on social media.