Adapting for success: How Coach K keeps on winning

From Grant Hill to Shane Battier to Kyrie Irving, Krzyzewski has always made an effort to recruit high-character players and has adapted to the new one-and-done format.

Mike Krzyzewski’s Duke career did not get off to the best of starts.

The Blue Devils struggled through two losing seasons in his first three seasons in Durham, compiling an overall record of 38-47. A home loss to Wagner College in 1982 was particularly hard to swallow, and unhappy fans called for a change at the helm.

“It wasn’t like they played the best game they’ve ever played. And it wasn’t like it was a close game. They just beat us,” said forward Mark Alarie, a freshman on that year’s team. “I remember that being the low point of my Duke basketball experience because there were boosters, who will go unnamed, leaning over the rails telling Krzyzewski, ‘You’re fired! You’re out of here!’”

Duke athletic director Tom Butters kept his faith in the young head coach, faith that Krzyzewski has spent the last 32 seasons proving well-placed. Beginning in 1983, his teams failed to win 20 games just twice. In that same stretch, there have been 13 30-win seasons, 13 ACC tournament championships, 11 Final Fours and four national championships.

And now, after his team’s 77-68 win against St. John’s, Krzyzewski stands alone—the first Division I men’s college basketball coach to register 1,000 career wins.

In his fourth decade on the Duke sideline, Krzyzewski has achieved unparalleled success because of his ability to adapt to the evolving landscape of college basketball, making the necessary adjustments to put his teams in the best position to win.

“He’s not afraid to change. One thing he tells our guys is that in order to become better, you have to change—you can’t do it the same way all the time,” associate head coach Jeff Capel said. “Our guys are willing to do that because they see him do it—they see how he’s changed year-in, year-out. The way we play changes. We don’t have a set system. The system is set up by the players that we have and we adapt it to the kind of players that we have.”

Case in point: After the Blue Devils were beat repeatedly by Miami’s ball-screens in a Jan. 13 home loss, Krzyzewski made an abrupt departure from his trademark high-pressure man-to-man defense, opening in a 2-3 zone in Duke’s next game at Louisville. The switch worked, and the Blue Devils trotted it out again in their next game against Pittsburgh.

“Before you’re ever critical with your team, you say ‘Am I putting my players in the best position to be successful offensively and defensively?’” Krzyzewski said after the Louisville game, career win No. 998. “Because I’m not a systems-oriented guy, I’m constantly working on that.”

In recent years, change has meant adjusting Duke’s offensive system to adapt to the personnel on the roster. The Blue Devils swung from utilizing the interior presence of Miles and Mason Plumlee to getting the ball into the hands of Jabari Parker and Rodney Hood with room to attack the basket. This season, it’s back to running the system through Jahlil Okafor in the post.

Krzyzewski has also responded to seismic shifts in the college game. The advent of the shot clock, the introduction of the 3-point line, the rise of the one-and-done—all of these alterations to the sport have affected his game plans and his recruiting. But not his success.

Despite not being a household name at the time, Krzyzewski began recruiting all over the country soon after landing in Durham. Living in Los Angeles, Jay Bilas didn’t get much exposure to Duke or Krzyzewski, competing in a conference 3,000 miles away.

“He sold me on himself. He obviously sold me on Duke being a great school and a great place to play and the ACC was the best conference, but I was looking at other schools,” Bilas said. “I just was deciding essentially on a coach, and he was the guy that I trusted the most.”

Bilas’ recruiting class—which included Alarie, Johnny Dawkins and David Henderson—started it all. The quartet suffered through an 11-17 freshman campaign, taking some lumps from ACC legends Michael Jordan and Ralph Sampson in the process, but grew up with a 24-10 sophomore season. As seniors, the group reached the Final Four for the first time under Krzyzewski, falling 72-69 to Louisville in the national championship game and finishing with a 37-3 record.

In five of the next six seasons, the Blue Devils would reach the Final Four, finally cutting down the nets in 1991 and duplicating the feat in 1992.

From the beginning, Krzyzewski preached defense—one of few constants in his 35 years in Durham—and found gritty players to protect the basket. At its best, the Blue Devil defense was heart and hustle personified, with Steve Wojciechowski’s floor slaps and Shane Battier’s chase-down blocks the lasting images of Duke’s commitment on that end of the floor.

“[Butters] must have seen in Coach what we have all watched now for decades—the ability to instill in his players, through hard work and preparation, the confidence and determination to play the game at the highest level,” NBA commissioner Adam Silver wrote in an email.

The Blue Devils’ success—coupled with the growth of the college game as televised entertainment—has turned Krzyzewski and the Duke program into an international brand, one that has endured despite offers to make the transition to the professional sideline.

Thirty-five seasons later, Krzyzewski no longer hits the recruiting trail as a coach looking to establish himself. But he also doesn’t have the luxury of using all four years to integrate his top recruits into a cohesive system. With players bolting to the NBA after one season across college basketball—including three from Duke in the past four seasons—the yearly challenge of assembling a collection of talent into a team becomes more challenging when so many key pieces are moving in and out.

But despite a pair of recent early-round exits in the NCAA tournament, Krzyzewski has woven together 20-win team after 20-win team.

“With that kind of longevity, to come in year-in and year-out and to continue to inspire, teach and mentor young men is certainly not an easy thing to do,” said Grant Hill, a member of two Duke national title teams. “It requires one being able to adapt and adjust. Every team, every era, every generation is different.”

And now, Krzyzewski has turned that mentorship and adaptability into 1,000 career wins. Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim will likely join him in that exclusive club in the near future, but until then, Krzyzewski stands alone in Division I men’s college basketball.

“To achieve 1,000 wins is unheard of. It’s unheard of. It’s the true definition of consistency,” broadcaster Dick Vitale said. “What he’s achieved at Duke, I would certainly say if I was on TV: ‘It’s awesome baby, with a capital A!’”

Nick Martin contributed reporting

Share and discuss “Adapting for success: How Coach K keeps on winning” on social media.