Duke community faces loss of two students

The Duke community lost two students this weekend.

Kaila Brown—a fifth-year graduate student in English—and Alexander Rickabaugh, a Pratt sophomore, both passed away Sunday. Their deaths are unrelated, and although cause of death has yet to be determined in either case, foul play is not suspected.

Administrators urged students to support one another and to take advantage of University resources.

"Be attentive to what's going on with everyone," said Sue Wasiolek, assistant vice president for student affairs and dean of students. "Support everyone as best as you can."

Vice President of Student Affairs Larry Moneta announced the tragedy in an email Monday afternoon.

Brown was from Apple Valley, Calif., and received her undergraduate degree from Brigham Young University. Rickabaugh was from Winston-Salem, N.C., and was a resident of Avalon House in Kilgo Quadrangle.

"These losses are heartbreaking to family, friends and the entire Duke community," Moneta wrote in his email. "We will do all we can to offer support and comfort to all. I urge each of you to take advantage of all opportunities for care should you or anyone you know be in distress."

Moneta said in an interview with The Chronicle that the University cannot yet legally share details, as the medical examiners have not issued reports yet.

The English Department and Graduate School are developing plans for a memorial for Brown, according to Moneta's email.

A gathering was held Monday night to remember Rickabaugh and provide support for grieving students. Nearly 100 of Rickabaugh’s college and high school classmates packed a Kilgo commons room for the event.

Rickabaugh was described as a “showstopper” and an “adventurous person.” Stories of his enthusiasm and humor elicited laughs at several, and students who lived with Rickabaugh in Jarvis last year said seeing him slacklining in front of the building was like “coming home and seeing your brother.”

This was not the last time the community would gather to remember Rickabaugh, but rather a "first attempt," said Gary Glass, Counseling and Psychological Services associate director for outreach and developmental programming.

Resources available for students include CAPS, DukeReach and Duke Police. Both Moneta and Wasiolek emphasized that students should lean on one another and offer support to those who are struggling.

Members of the Duke community have a responsibility to care for one another, Wasiolek said, noting that students who see others in need should reach out to secure help.

"Having now been involved in way too many student deaths, it doesn't get easier," Moneta said. "Every one is as painful as the one that preceded it. Yet I've never been at a place like Duke where people come together and support each other like this."

Editor's note: The thoughts of The Chronicle staff are with the families and friends of Kaila Brown and Alexander Rickabaugh. We will continue to gather reflections on their lives at Duke throughout the week.

Share and discuss “Duke community faces loss of two students” on social media.