Law Refectory Café to be replaced by Café de Novo

Café de Novo has been announced as the replacement vendor for the space that will be left vacant by the soon-to-depart Law Refectory Café.

The new café will be operated by Sam Clowney and Chris Holloway, the partnership behind McClendon Tower's Pitchfork Provisions and Bella Union as well as French Family Science Center's La Dolce Vita. Holloway also ran the kitchen of Faculty Commons until it closed as part of the West Union renovations. The change in vendors comes after the University declined to renew the Refectory Café's contract—a move met with some outcry from the community.

A five-person committee from the School of Law led the search for a new vendor. Three finalists were invited to campus to present their program and menu samples, Director of Dining Services Robert Coffey said.

"The selection committee from the Law School was impressed with their diverse background, menu creativity and quality, coffee program and willingness to be very flexible to develop a customized program to meet their community expectations," Coffey wrote about Clowney and Holloway in an email Wednesday.

A need for healthy food—particularly vegan and vegetarian options—and sustainable practices were among the criteria considered by the committee, a release from the law school noted.

The June 22 departure of the Refectory Café will come two years after the closure of its sister restaurant, the Refectory Café in the Divinity School. Owner Laura Hall left the Divinity School location after refusing to increase the commission paid to Duke Dining. She is currently embroiled in a lawsuit with the University regarding trademark infringement by the replacement vendor, the Divinity Refectory—now known as Divinity Café.

The Refectory Cafés were popular options on campus, named "Best of Duke" in seven of the past eight years, and also were noted for their sustainable practices.

Café de Novo will open July 9. In addition to Clowney and Holloway's experience at Duke, the pair have made an impact in the local dining community as well—Holloway has served as executive chef at gourmet market and speciality foods store A Southern Season and also worked to open the kitchen at Motorco, a bar and music hall.

"The new vendor has listened to the feedback from the Law School selection committee and is very excited and honored to be able to serve the Duke community in this location," Coffey wrote. "Chef Chris Holloway has a great menu planned with some new exciting items and is looking forward to getting to meet all the customers and listen to any suggestions or ideas for the café."

Share and discuss “Law Refectory Café to be replaced by Café de Novo” on social media.