Duke fraternities bring in bigger pledge class

IFC fraternities welcomed new members to their ranks Monday, culminating the two-week recruitment process.

Out of 455 people registered for recruitment, 446 bids were delivered from the 17 Interfraternity Council fraternities Sunday evening. Of this number, 274 were accepted, said senior Taylor Elliott, IFC vice president of recruitment and a member of Pi Kappa Phi fraternity. Although the number of potential new members was almost the same last year, IFC extended more nearly 70 more bids in 2014 than 2013. Of the 377 bids offered in 2013, 250 were accepted—about 25 fewer than 2014.

“There has been a large increase in bids extended and bids accepted,” said IFC President Jack Riker, a senior and member of Sigma Nu fraternity. “So it’s a very exciting time for us.”

Riker was unable to provide information about individual fraternities’ pledge class size.

A few chapters saw larger than usual pledge class sizes, Elliot said.

As of Sunday, the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life was aware of three unregistered events and three off-campus noise complaints with no citations during recruitment, according to an email provided to The Chronicle, written by Clarybel Peguero, assistant dean and director of fraternity and sorority life. Emergency Medical Services assessed—but did not transport—one student.

Many fraternities were pleased with their recruitment outcomes.

Sophomore Jonathan Kersky, recruitment chair for Sigma Chi fraternity, emphasized the quality of the new members soon to be added to his brotherhood.

“I’m happy,” Kersky said. “I like these guys a lot, and I’m looking forward to getting to know them better.”

Freshman Tim Campbell, who is pledging Sigma Chi, noted that while balancing the hectic schedule of recruitment with schoolwork was very tiring, the process remained very enjoyable.

“I expected more of a high-pressure situation, something similar to sorority rush,” Campbell said. “I love my brothers a lot, and I’m pretty confident with my decision.”

Sophomore Connor McKenna, also pledging Sigma Chi, voiced similar opinions, adding that the generally low workload associated with the first week of the semester helped ease the stress, but that once his schoolwork picks up during pledging, he will be much busier.

“I really enjoyed rush, it was a whole lot of fun,” McKenna said. “I don’t really have any complaints about it.”

McKenna also noted that rushing as a sophomore introduced an added stress to the process.

“It was honestly a bit harder,” McKenna said. “Not too many sophomores rush or get called back, so it ended up that I was mostly rushing by myself.”

Despite the difficulties he faced, McKenna is very happy with his pledge class and is certain he made the right decision.

”That’s the whole point of rush, to get into a group you’re happy in,” McKenna said.

The recruitment process concluded Monday at 1 p.m.—the deadline for potential inductees to turn in their bid cards. Fraternities may still extend snap bids to any potential new members who either did not accept or receive a bid until Friday at 5 p.m.

Share and discuss “Duke fraternities bring in bigger pledge class” on social media.