Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain closes tour at Page Auditorium

The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain performed Sunday evening at Paige Auditorium.

The orchestra—composed of eight performers—has been on a tour in North America, said Aaron Greenwald, executive director of Duke Performances. The tour included stops at Princeton University and various venues in New York City before culminating at Duke.

“We are the last stop, and then the orchestra will return to England for turkey, gravy and a full slate of NFL viewing,” Greenwald joked.

Greenwald noted that the orchestra would be having a “Ukulele hang” at Full Steam Brewery in Durham after the concert, which he said that he hoped the orchestra and audience would attend.

“It’s great to be here at [University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill],” orchestra co-founder and director George Hinchcliffe quipped as he introduced himself and his fellow orchestra members.

Hinchcliffe and his colleagues—Peter Brooke Turner, Kitty Lux, David Suich, Jonty Bankes, Richie Williams and Leisa Rea—performed a selection that ranged from British folk music to popular music. They performed a song by David Bowie, which Hinchcliffe said was about Bowie’s identity crisis.

Hinchcliffe noted that what the audience was about to see was music of only ukulele and vocals.

“There is no guitar, no banjo and no bass,” Hinchcliffe said.

The audience of students, faculty and people from outside the University applauded heartily throughout the performance. Many said they appreciated the show.

“The music selection was fantastic,” said Jenny Meadows, a member in the audience. “I really enjoyed it.”

Before intermission, orchestra member Bankes explained the different types of ukuleles, which range from soprano to bass.

Share and discuss “Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain closes tour at Page Auditorium” on social media.