Alpha Delta Phi to join Interfraternity Council

Alpha Delta Phi will join the Interfraternity Council in the Fall after being denied admittance in March.

The off-campus fraternity has been recognized by the national Alpha Delta Phi organization since 2006, however it has never been officially affiliated with the University. Membership in a greek council is a pre-requisite to University recognition of a fraternity and eligibility for a housing section. ADPhi was denied admittance into the council, and therefore on-campus housing, earlier this semester in a private hearing with IFC. After signing a one-year probationary agreement, however, ADPhi was granted admittance into the IFC in the Fall. 

“Alpha Delta Phi has a strong national history of excellence, and I am confident that this culture of striving for excellence will continue on the local level as their men become a valuable resource for the entire Duke community,” junior Jack Riker, president of the IFC, wrote in an email Sunday.

Junior Jay Vitha, executive vice president of the Interfraternity Council, said the IFC ultimately chose to admit ADPhi into the council because “everyone saw the benefit of having a united greek council.”

To gain admittance into the IFC, the fraternity had to sign a probationary agreement that lists a number of requirements the fraternity must meet to “ensure a smooth transition” into the council, Riker said, though he did not disclose what the requirements were.

“I am confident that they will pass with flying colors,” Riker said of meeting the requirements.

ADPhi has undergone many name changes since it was originally chartered on Duke’s campus as Sigma Alpha Epsilon. SAE was expelled from the national fraternity in 2002 for violating rules regarding risk management, such as hazing and illegal alcohol use. As a consequence, the chapter was immediately disaffiliated from Duke.

After moving off campus, the fraternity assumed the name Delta Phi Alpha. Four years later, the fraternity was adopted by ADPhi as part of the national organization’s effort to expand to more elite institutions.

Alpha Delta Phi President Stephen Potter, a junior, said he is excited that the fraternity will officially join the Duke community in the Fall.

"We're delighted to be joining the IFC and are very pleased to make our standing in Duke's greek community official," he wrote in an email Sunday.

Share and discuss “Alpha Delta Phi to join Interfraternity Council” on social media.