Alpha Delta Phi denied Duke campus housing again

In a private hearing held Monday, the Interfraternity Council voted to deny the off-campus fraternity, Alpha Delta Phi, admittance to the council, IFC Vice President for Recruitment Taylor Elliott, a junior, confirmed in an email Tuesday.

Membership in a greek council is a pre-requisite to University recognition of a fraternity and eligibility for a housing section.

Alpha Delta Phi President Stephen Potter, a junior, could not be reached for comment.

Junior Jack Riker, president of the Interfraternity Council, declined to comment, saying that the details of the proceedings are confidential.

Alpha Delta Phi has undergone many name changes since it was originally chartered on Duke’s campus as Sigma Alpha Epsilon. SAE was expelled from the national fraternity in 2002 for violating rules regarding risk management, such as hazing and illegal alcohol use. As a consequence, the chapter was immediately disaffiliated from Duke.

After moving off campus, the fraternity assumed the name Delta Phi Alpha. Four years later, the fraternity was adopted by Alpha Delta Phi as part of the national organization’s effort to expand to more elite institutions.

Members of the chapter stated that they were open to the idea of affiliating with the University once they established a national partnership, but, seven years later, this has yet to happen.

Note: This article has been updated with information about the IFC membership and its effect on a fraternity's eligibility for housing.

Share and discuss “Alpha Delta Phi denied Duke campus housing again” on social media.