Williams named All-American

Center Elizabeth Williams is the first Duke freshman ever to be named an Associated Press All-American.

Add All-American to the list of Elizabeth Williams’ accolades.

The 6-foot-3 center was selected to the Associated Press All-America third team, becoming the first freshman in Blue Devil history to earn All-America honors. She was the only first year to make any of the three All-America squads.

Williams has racked up awards in her first year in Durham, already having won ACC defensive player of the year, ACC freshman of the year and All-ACC first team recognition.

Williams led the team in points, rebounds and blocked shots with 14.0, 7.8 and 3.5 per game, respectively. Her 3.5 blocks per game ranked fifth nationally and her 116 total set an ACC single-season record.

Highlighted by an 18-point, 16-rebound and 12-block performance against Wake Forest, Williams improved during conference play. In her 16 ACC games, she averaged 15.4 points, 8.4 boards and 4.0 blocks.

Point guard Chelsea Gray, who led Duke in assists, steals and minutes played while notching the second-most points per game at 12.5, did not make any of the All-America teams.

Stanford’s Nnemkadi Ogwumike and Baylor’s Brittney Griner were unanimous selections for the first team. They were joined by Notre Dame’s Skylar Diggins, Delaware’s Elena Delle Donne and Maryland’s Alyssa Thomas.

Share and discuss “Williams named All-American” on social media.