DUU should plan LDOC

Last week, indie-pop duo The Cataracs sent the Last Day of Classes Committee a disappointing message—the group had decided to cancel their scheduled LDOC performance to attend an awards show instead.

This development, which seriously threatens the integrity of the entire LDOC lineup only two weeks before the show, highlights a series of lackluster results from the LDOC committee and calls the structure of the group into question.

In the past LDOC has been planned by an independent committee and jointly funded by Campus Council and the Duke University Union, along with an allocation from the student activities fee and fundraising. But, now that Duke Student Government and Campus Council have successfully merged, the composition of the LDOC committee needs to change. In the future LDOC should fall under the sole purview of DUU, whose broad experience will ensure the committee can pick and hold on to top-notch performers.

The Cataracs’ cancellation is disappointing, though it may have been unavoidable. But it highlights shortcomings in the LDOC planning process and in the structure of the LDOC Committee itself.

In recent years, the LDOC committee has tended to select one easily recognizable headline act and filled out the remaining docket with lesser known “filler” bands. The name recognition that comes with these primary artists can generate excitement. But these big name artists too often turn out to be heavy on style and short on substance, leaving students dissatisfied with the seemingly disinterested performers.

Instead of emphasizing name recognition or popularity for its own sake, the committee should place greater priority on the live performance prowess of the artists that they book. In order to accomplish these aims, we propose that DUU plan the logistics and execution of LDOC festivities.

The LDOC committee currently seeks applicants from the entire student body to fill some spots. The intent behind this is admirable. But even partially separating the LDOC committee from DUU ignores the valuable resources and experience DUU members can and should provide.

DUU’s considerable experience and access to resources make it uniquely suited for the substantial undertaking that is LDOC. DUU members are genuinely committed to and well versed in student programming initiatives. DUU’s track record on recent performances is excellent. It has brought Lupe Fiasco, John Legend and Chiddy Bang to campus in the last year, with much success. These events are similar to LDOC, and we expect the group will be able to execute LDOC to similar acclaim.

The new LDOC subcommittee of DUU should focus on staffing the committee with individuals who are intimately familiar with live shows. These students have invaluable knowledge about which performers will put on the best live shows, irrespective of name recognition of the potential acts.

The committee also needs to select students who have experience in dealing with music executives and drawing up contracts. Including these sorts of students could help avoid the cancellations that have hurt recent LDOC efforts.

The DSG-Campus Council merger has created an opportunity to improve one of Duke’s most exciting and enjoyable annual events. To ensure that LDOC continues to provide students with the end-of-year experience that they are looking for, DUU needs to take the lead on coordinating and executing LDOC festivities from this point forward.

Share and discuss “DUU should plan LDOC” on social media.