Community reacts to cross burnings

In the wake of last week’s three cross burnings, Durham has been thrust into the national spotlight. The two questions now on the minds of local residents and law enforcement officials are “Who did it?” and “Why?”

Agents with the Federal Bureau of Investigation joined Durham Police Department’s cross-burning investigation last week, after finger-pointing and accusations had already started in the community.

Governor Mike Easley’s Crime Commission announced Wednesday that it is offering a $10,000 reward for information to help identify the suspects of last week’s cross burnings. The FBI added $5,000 to the award after the governor’s initial announcement. CrimeStoppers issued a $1,200 reward, and Durham County Commissioner Lewis Cheek offered a $1,000 reward of his own—bringing the total reward total to $17,200.

The Supreme Court ruled two years ago that a state can ban cross burning as a means to intimidate; in such instances, suspects are not protected by the First Amendment. North Carolina law bans burning crosses in accordance with the Supreme Court ruling.

Although flyers from the Ku Klux Klan were allegedly left at the cross-burning site at the intersection of Holloway and Dillard Streets, investigation officials are hesitant to make any claims about who is to blame.

“Anything is possible,” said FBI Special Agent Lou Velasco. “But based on the way they constructed the crosses, I highly doubt it was pranksterism.”

Velasco added that the three separate locations—where the crosses were positioned for “maximum viewing and maximum impact”—possibly point to a more organized effort than one mere pranksters could devise.

Thomas Robb, national director of the Knights of the KKK, denies his organization had anything to do with last week’s incident, although the group has historically been the culprit of such crimes. Robb told ABC 11 Eyewitness News he believes the KKK’s “good reputation” has made investigation officials “quite aware” that the Klan is not to blame.

But the FBI has not eliminated the organization as a suspect. “The KKK is a possibility based on their historical use of the cross,” Velasco said.

Some community members, however, do not accuse the Klan of the hate crime.

“I just can’t see the KKK coming here and doing that; they are pretty much cowardly. This is nothing but a black neighborhood—it would take a whole army of them,” said 49-year-old Durham resident Allan Jones while standing at one of the burning sites. “The hangings, the cross burnings—that’s old-school KKK. It’s wild to think they would go back to that in 2005.”

Regardless of who is to blame, many community members and activists want the nation to know that Durham will not tolerate such actions.

“[We] will not sit back and let these crosses burned in Durham go unnoticed,” Rev. Charles Smith, president of Durham’s chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, said in a statement.

Smith added that the NAACP will communicate with DPD Chief Steve Chalmers and Mayor Bill Bell “to ensure the person or persons responsible will not go unpunished and that this will not happen in Durham or any other city.”

Smith added that last week’s incident will headline the agenda for the local chapter’s meeting with the state president of the NAACP, June 11.

Jones said he thought the response of law enforcement officers also sent a positive message to the community.

“I think this is good publicity—the police and FBI being here. We will not tolerate this kind of mess in this town,” he said.

In a statement released this week, Duke President Richard Brodhead said the incident was uncharacteristic of the Durham he has come to know.

“I join with others at Duke and in Durham in deploring the recent cross burnings,” he said. “Such symbols of hatred... are anathema to values we hold dear in this diverse and caring community.”

Duke instructor in cultural anthropology Susan McDonic, who attended one of three vigils at the cross-burning sites held last week, said she was impressed by how the city reacted to the incident. “The strong community response serves to resolidify my faith in humanity and focus on what is good in the community,” she said.

Share and discuss “Community reacts to cross burnings” on social media.