Duke men's basketball's Jeremy Roach commits to Baylor after entering transfer portal

Jeremy Roach goes for a jumper in Duke's ACC Tournament matchup against the Wolfpack.

The captain is setting sail. 

After four years with Duke basketball, senior guard Jeremy Roach announced via Instagram his commitment to Baylor Sunday evening. This followed his declaration to the 2024 NBA Draft while maintaining his fifth and final year of college eligibility. 

A year ago, Roach declared for the draft while maintaining his collegiate eligibility so that he could return for a fourth year with the Blue Devils if it didn’t work in his best interest. This time, he is leaving behind Cameron Indoor Stadium for good.

Roach’s career inside and outside Cameron Indoor is one that saw a lot of history: Mike Krzyzewski’s final year as head coach, Jon Scheyer’s first, a Final Four (against North Carolina, no less), one of Duke’s rare March Madness sit-outs, an ACC tournament championship and an ACC regular-season title. He has scored more than 1,000 points for Duke, earning the team’s MVP award in his junior season while being tabbed to the 2023 All-ACC tournament team. In the assist category, and more recently in the shooting category, Roach’s name stands out at the top of stat sheets. 

The Leesburg, Va., native has made his biggest impact to Duke, however, in his capacity as a two-time captain and level-headed leader for the Blue Devils.

Sophie Levenson profile
Sophie Levenson | Sports Managing Editor

Sophie Levenson is a Trinity sophomore and a sports managing editor of The Chronicle's 120th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke men's basketball's Jeremy Roach commits to Baylor after entering transfer portal” on social media.