Duke women’s golf battles through wind and difficult course at Darius Rucker Intercollegiate, finishes ninth

Andie Smith excelled at the Darius Rucker Invitational amid difficult conditions.

In spite of raised expectations after a disappointing spring opener and a couple weeks of additional training, Duke showed perhaps less improvement than it wanted at the Darius Rucker Intercollegiate in Hilton Head, S.C.

After three days of stroke play against familiar and strong teams like Wake Forest and LSU, and some new opponents like Arkansas and Northwestern, the Blue Devils shot +13 and placed ninth in a 17-team deep field. Duke struggled with consistency across three rounds, facing challenging winds on the latter two, but had its share of positive showings and moments nonetheless. 

“I think the team would agree with me that [the competition was] not the performance we were looking for,” said head coach Dan Brooks. “I saw some really good things going on in the tournament from everybody … we just want to get a little more consistent.” 

One of the highlights was sophomore Andie Smith’s pair of minus-2 showings across rounds one and three, with a 26-putt career-best on the final day. Where her first day had some bogeys — which were well offset by six birdies over the 18 holes — Smith shot at or below par on all but one hole over the course of day three. 

“Andie did great … [her performance] is what I would call Duke golf,” Brooks said. “We have got to get some low numbers, and it’s great to see that [given how] going low is important.” 

While the Blue Devils had a solid opening round, tying for second place, gusts of wind in rounds two and three spoiled stroke counts across the field. The breeze’s effect showed in the competition scoring average, which began at 72.96 for the par-71 course, but rose to 73.92 on day two and back down slightly to 73.64 on the final day. As a result of winds, Duke’s first round 3-under score collided with a 6-over in the second and 10-over in the third. 

Regardless, Brooks was optimistic about the team’s growth and play despite the wind. 

“I would say that we were a little better in the wind in this tournament than in the [Moon Golf Invitational, but] that’s a work in progress,” Brooks said. “We’re going to … get to where we can play in all conditions.”

Brooks also noted that despite winds being milder than in Melbourne, Fla., for the Moon Golf Invitational, the Hilton Head course uniquely challenged the Blue Devils with its layout.

Created by renown course designer Pete Dye, Long Cove Club’s landscape often prevents golfers from knowing the motion of higher-elevation winds due to its pocket placement. Such effects can complicate landing the ball and controlling its flight path.

“[Long Cove Club] is a really great golf course … and it’s going to challenge you whether the wind’s blowing or not,” Brooks said. 

Other Blue Devils with highlights from the competition were graduate student Emma McMyler and freshman Katie Li. McMyler hit even-par in the first round before shooting a needed -1 in round two. Li matched McMyler’s round-one score and held consistent on her second 18, putting up another 71 strokes. 

“If you look at our performance after day one, after day two, there’s a lot of great golf in there … so there’s a lot of positives to take from this tournament,” Brooks said.

Senior Anne Chen delivered Duke’s second-lowest score in two rounds, hitting one-under and one-over on the first and third days, respectively. Usual stalwart Phoebe Brinker struggled throughout, logging an even first round before subsequent +3 and +9 rounds.

As always, consistency is key in both practice and competition, and with the Blue Devils committed to their training regimen, they still have time to improve before championships begin in mid-April. Next week, the Blue Devils head south to Tallahassee, Fla., for the Florida State Match Up.  

“We just need to keep on going, it’s all a process,” Brooks said. “You just get into the process, and you keep making yourself a little better today than you were yesterday … and that’s all this is.”

Ryan Kilgallen

Ryan Kilgallen is a Trinity first-year and a staff reporter for the news department.

Share and discuss “Duke women’s golf battles through wind and difficult course at Darius Rucker Intercollegiate, finishes ninth” on social media.