How does Duke’s 4.35% increase in cost of attendance compare to other schools'?

<p>The Karsh Office of Undergraduate Financial Support.</p>

The Karsh Office of Undergraduate Financial Support.

The Board of Trustees recently approved a 4.35% increase to the total cost of attendance for undergraduate students for the 2024-25 school year. This increase is similar to those of peer institutions with a similar U.S. News ranking and private schools in the ACC conference.

The Chronicle calculated the total cost of attendance to include tuition, room and board (including food) and required fees. For the sake of consistency, calculations do not include personal living expenses, miscellaneous fees or the cost of textbooks, as some universities include these estimates in their total cost of attendance while others do not. 

The U.S. News & World Report Best National University Rankings list Princeton, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Harvard, Stanford, Yale, University of Pennsylvania, California Institute of Technology, Duke, Brown, Johns Hopkins, and Northwestern as its top 10 universities nationwide.

As of March 18, seven of these schools have set their cost of attendance for next fall. Duke’s cost increase lies in the middle of the pack. 

The higher end includes Stanford, Brown and Princeton, with Stanford increasing their cost of attendance the most by 5.85%. Brown and Princeton raised their cost of attendance by approximately 4.75% and 4.5%, respectively. These schools will now have families that are not on financial aid pay $88,856 for tuition, fees and room and board at Brown and $82,650 at Princeton. For Brown, this is the largest cost increase since 2019.

Next comes Duke with its 4.35% hike, followed by the lower end of these increases for top-10 institutions with Caltech, Yale and University of Pennsylvania, increasing their total cost of attendance by 4.14%, 3.9% and 3.85%, respectively. 

MIT, Harvard, Johns Hopkins and Northwestern have not released their costs of attendance for the 2024-25 academic year.

The Atlantic Coast Conference has six private schools which rely on tuition to cover costs. Alongside Duke, the University of Miami and Notre Dame have released their undergraduate charges for the 2024-2025 school year. Once again, Duke’s upcharge falls in the middle.

The University of Miami had the larger increase, charging its students 5.80% more next fall. The total cost of attendance will now be $86,234, nearly matching the $86,886 that Duke students will be paying. Notre Dame had a comparatively smaller increase of 3.56%.

As of March 18, Boston College, Syracuse and Wake Forest have not released their costs of attendance for the 2024-25 academic year.

Ana Despa

Ana Despa is a Pratt first-year and a staff reporter for the news department.       

Share and discuss “How does Duke’s 4.35% increase in cost of attendance compare to other schools'?” on social media.