X factor: Mitchell's versatility on both ends key for Duke men's basketball against N.C. State

Sophomore forward Mark Mitchell shoots a free throw in Duke's game against Virginia.

In the first of two games this week against in-state opponents, Duke men’s basketball will head down Tobacco Road to take on N.C. State. The Blue Zone brings you a key player from each squad to watch out for:

Duke: Mark Mitchell

After absolutely dismantling Virginia in their penultimate home game, the Blue Devils will head down the road to Raleigh for a matchup against N.C. State. Sophomore forward Mark Mitchell has played hot and cold this season for Duke, but especially with freshman guard Caleb Foster still sidelined, Mitchell will have to turn on the heat and play an integral role for the Blue Devils in their last road game of the season. 

A lot of things have shifted for Duke since Foster’s ankle injury. Mitchell has certainly stepped up to fill part of the scoring hole left in Foster’s wake, looking more aggressive on offense than he has in the past. Though Mitchell has long been known for his stellar defensive abilities, teams have been forced to recognize him as a true offensive threat, giving head coach Jon Scheyer even more tools to utilize against opponents in his game plan. Monday night’s game should be no different.

The Kansas City, Kan., native has clearly worked hard to make himself a more well-rounded player. Mitchell played in 35 games last season, and across those games he made 114 field goals. This season, with 26 games under his belt so far, he has already made 115. Mitchell’s offensive confidence will assuredly provide a spark to his teammates and could lead the Blue Devils to victory against the Wolfpack. 

N.C. State: DJ Horne

For N.C State to defend its home court one last time in this season and not let its two game losing streak stretch into three, the Wolfpack will need to rely on the expertise and offensive ability of graduate student DJ Horne. After transferring from Arizona State, the 6-foot-2 guard has seen a shift in his offensive responsibility, going from 12.5 points per game in his senior season with the Sun Devils to 17.6 points per game this season. Although the Raleigh native got off to a slow start during the first couple of games this season, he quickly became a key offensive piece for N.C. State. He leads the team in points and is third in assists, as well as bringing some valuable NCAA tournament experience to head coach Kevin Keatts’ team.

Horne’s veteran skill level will bring a steadying presence to the Wolfpack as they face off against a Duke team coming hot off of a dominant win over Virginia. For N.C. State to even have a chance to walk away with its last home win of the season, Horne will need to have a career-defining night. 

Share and discuss “X factor: Mitchell's versatility on both ends key for Duke men's basketball against N.C. State” on social media.