And one: Subpar guard play and disoriented offense hurt No. 11 Duke men's basketball against NC State

Kyle Filipowski goes up for a reverse layup against N.C. State's Mohamed Diarra.

After each Duke men's basketball game, check back here for the Player of the Game and more. No. 11 Duke men's basketball bowed out of the ACC Tournament quarterfinals in a 74-69 defeat against N.C. State, and the Blue Zone is here to analyze the contest:

One player: Kyle Filipowski

In his first game after being named a Third-Team All-American by Sporting News, Duke’s sophomore logged another big performance for the box score. On the court, he accumulated 28 points on 13-for-20 shooting, alongside 14 rebounds. Both numbers tied for his second-highest tallies of the season, and look very impressive on paper. Unfortunately for Blue Devil fans, Filipowski collected five fouls throughout the game, and had to sit out more minutes than he’s used to in tight games. Filipowski’s minutes are critical in any ordinary game, but with this being a conference tournament contest and DJ Burns on the other side of the court, his importance is even more amplified. 

One word: Disoriented

When watching the Blue Devils on the offensive end, there was a collective feeling of unease. Throughout the night, Tyrese Proctor shot 4-for-16, Jared McCain 2-for-6 and Jeremy Roach 1-for-6. The backcourt trio combined for 23 points total, and no moment felt more emblematic of the night than Duke’s crunch-time offense with just over a minute left. 

Burns had just hit a tough layup to go ahead 71-64 with 1:22 left. Proctor brought the ball up the court and dribbled around the perimeter for 12 seconds. During that time, Filipowski stayed close, with the option of providing a screen, but Proctor declined it. Mark Mitchell came up from the corner to provide a screen, but Proctor went the other way. With 12 seconds left on the shot clock, Proctor passed to Filipowski, who had drifted up to the wing, with Roach right behind him. By this time, most of the Blue Devils' players on the court were on the left side of the key, behind the 3-point line. Inevitably, Filipowski dribbled into a double team, passed out to Roach, who with six seconds left on the shot clock, dribbled into the same double team and lost the ball out of bounds with 3.3 seconds left.

One statistic: More than 17 shot attempts by Filipowski

Duke has a 1-5 record in games in which Filipowski has taken 17 or more attempts from the field. The sole win in these games was January’s 84-79 home win against Georgia Tech, where it needed a 10-for-21 barrage from 3-point territory to pull out victory in a game in which it was favored by 18.5 points. In the five losses, Filipowski has a total of four assists, far below his season’s average of 2.8 assists per game. In a vacuum, Filipowski’s high scoring games throughout the season have been strong showings for himself. However, when putting them in the context of the whole year, they’ve ended with lackluster team results. 

Throughout the season, Duke’s offense can be characterized as having run two separate systems. There are possessions where Filipowski is the dominant force, with the offense running through the big man in the middle, and him either attempting a shot or passing out to a shooter at the 3-point line. The other type of game is a more guard-focused, fast-paced game, with the backcourt running the offense, moving the ball fast and generating open looks. Unfortunately for the Blue Devils, when the games get tight, Filipowski-dominant play picks up, which leads to more shots for him and sometimes a Duke loss. On the other hand, the Blue Devils’ best performances of the year, both team-wise and individually, were characterized by high-pace guard play and perimeter initiation. In February, Duke blew the doors off of a talented Miami Hurricanes, with a balanced attack led by the star backcourt of Roach and Proctor. The duo combined for 28 points and eight assists, alongside only three turnovers. Four days prior, McCain exploded for 35 points against Florida State, a showing dominated by ball movement by the backcourt off of fast-break opportunities, and kick-outs from the paint. 

There’s no doubt that the Blue Devils' star center has all the talent in the world, but when he gets tunnel vision and dominates the team’s offense, the losses come. 

Share and discuss “And one: Subpar guard play and disoriented offense hurt No. 11 Duke men's basketball against NC State ” on social media.