Duke men's basketball honored for 2023-24 All-ACC awards, Kyle Filipowski named to First Team

Kyle Filipowski and RJ Davis were both named to the All-ACC First Team.

The ACC announced its end-of-year awards Monday afternoon and three Blue Devils were honored. 

Sophomore center Kyle Filipowski earned All-ACC First Team honors as the third-highest vote-getter, only behind North Carolina’s RJ Davis and Clemson’s PJ Hall. Davis won Player of the Year after an unbelievable campaign, averaging 21.1 points per game. He got 68 of the 75 votes, but Filipowski was the next closest with three. Hunter Sallis of Wake Forest and Pittsburgh’s Blake Hinson rounded out the full First Team. 

The Westtown, N.Y., native has improved his points per game and field goal percentages from a year ago while adjusting from playing the four to starting at the five. Filipowski’s 23 points against North Carolina were his most since a 30-point outburst Jan. 13 versus Georgia Tech

Senior guard Jeremy Roach was named to the All-ACC Third Team for the first time in his Blue Devil career. The two-time captain is having a very efficient year, shooting a remarkable 48.4% from the field and 44.2% from deep. 

While Notre Dame’s Markus Burton edged out Jared McCain for Rookie of the Year, McCain was recognized with both an All-ACC Honorable Mention and a spot on the All-Rookie Team. 

Notably, freshman guard Caleb Foster earned votes for both Rookie of the Year and Sixth Man of the Year. Head coach Jon Scheyer was fifth in Coach of the Year voting, as North Carolina’s Hubert Davis took the crown. 

Rounding out the other awards, Ishmael Leggett was named Sixth Man of the Year, the second straight Panther to win that award after Nike Sibande. Virginia’s Reece Beekman earned back-to-back Defensive Player of the Year honors. Finally, Ian Schieffelin of Clemson won Most Improved Player. 

Duke is the No. 2-seed in the ACC tournament beginning March 12 in Washington. The Blue Devils will face the winner between No. 7-seed Syracuse and No. 10-seed N.C. State/No. 15-seed Louisville March 14 at 7 p.m.

Ranjan Jindal profile
Ranjan Jindal | Sports Editor

Ranjan Jindal is a Trinity sophomore and sports editor of The Chronicle's 120th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke men's basketball honored for 2023-24 All-ACC awards, Kyle Filipowski named to First Team ” on social media.